What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anyone actually have manual flaps on their 7?

Jpm757

Well Known Member
After lots of searching, I've found numerous dead end threads on RV-7 manual flaps. Lots of discussion about the similarities that could be expected by using a manual set up from an RV-6. However, it doesn't appear anyone has actually installed them on an RV-7 as all the threads are inconclusive. After flying a C-185 on floats, and learning the many advantages of manual flaps, I would love to go manual with my RV-7 project. So, is there anybody out there that has successfully done this?
Thanks!

Chad from vertical Power/Ballard Astronics did it on his 7!

Either he will see this or you can contact him.

:cool: CJ

Update

I was able to get a hold of Chad, and he was nice enough to email me a bunch of pictures of the set up on his RV-7. After sourcing a manual flap weldment from an RV-6 on the classifieds, installation began.

One major difference between the RV-6 and the RV-7 is that the seat bottoms were lowered slightly in the RV-7 to provide more headroom. After fabricating a small raised piece for the RV-6 manual flap mechanism to sit on (so it is now level with the original 6 design, with a small gap at the bottom to still fit the seat back hinge pins.) the rest of the installation was straight forward. The aircraft is still several months away from flying, but this is what the flap system is looking like as of now.

First notch RETRACTED
Second notch 15 degrees (max lift with least drag for takeoff / matched aileron deflection)
Third notch 25 degrees
Fourth notch 40 degrees

Back