What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few issues with using Vans Exhaust and Heat Muff

WA85

Well Known Member
I just went over 200 hrs on my RV-8, which has an IO-320, 2 blade catto prop and Vans new cross over exhaust and heat muff p/n (VAN'S part # EA EXH/MUFF 320/360-1) depicted in Section OP-54.

Overall the exhaust and heat muff are of excellent quality and function, but being one early installers during my build, there are few issues that have cropped up that would have been nice to know about.

The exhaust doesn't have any down turn at the ends and when used on an RV-8, the exhaust will impinge on the exit ramp, which will cause cracks pretty quickly. I had to install a doubler on the exit ramp to re-enforce it from two developed cracks. A set of 1.75" 45 deg down turns from Summit racing solved that issue, or you can have Vans possibly bend down turns in the exhaust before they ship it to you. I was told (unofficially) that this exhaust was tested on an RV-9 and not on an RV-8, so when ordering your exhaust, take this into consideration.

My engine came with a 400 hr old sky tec 149LS starter. The solenoid failed at 200 hr mark (600 hrs total) and I am told that this starter is not the best for use on lightweight prop, low inertia, configurations, such as the catto.

I had wanted to use the B&C starter, but it will not fit due to interference with the new type heat muff. The sky tec 149 NL starter fits well and seems to work better with my low inertia prop. The sky tec 149 HT starter had some minor interference issues, but can be made to fit with a few well placed dents in the heat muff and inlets, which I did not want to do.

In summary, if you plan to install Vans new exhaust and heat muff as shown in OP-54, it is an excellent design and the heat muff works great. Plan ahead and possibly buy the sky tec 149 NL starter. If you put this on an RV-8, plan ahead and have down turns pre-bent or plan to add some slip on down turns later.

Back