What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Defrost needed?

mcgaughy

Patron
Building a 7a tip up and wonder if those flying have ever seen a need for a defroster fan. I've seen websites where some have used small computer fans for this purpose. But if I don't need them, I'd rather not have the weight or complexity.

Put in two fans. They have more function in removing panel heat in the summer than defrost in the winter - but they do defrost just fine.

Carl

I have one on the -8, quickly clears the windscreen on a wet day... On a -7 two might be useful...

I am planning on a couple of fans for our -7 tip up. Till then have a soft cloth the wife/copilot uses to help me see. Doubt it would have melted the ice I have seen up front (just kidding, of course).
The issue is fitting them to an existing tip up. Bought little 1" fans to go thru the lightening holes. Not much air though. Could put on top of glare shield but looks funky.

I am installing two small fans I purchased from Grainger. In fact I just wired them today in preparation for installing the front skin. I saw some in action last winter when I went flying with my friend, Tom Berge. They worked great.

Frank

2016 dues paid

I installed 2 computer fans under the glare shield of my slider 7, one centered over the EFIS and one over the radio stack. They seem to work better than a heat muff for defrost during cold weather and move some air during warm weather too.

Put 2 3" computer fans in also. Had an early start on the California coast one morning. The first breath that hits the windscreen before start fogs it up. Turn the master on, and it clears instantly. No heat run to mine, but keeps the moisture off till you get moving. They come on with the master, so it also will remove some heat in the summer.

I installed an eyeball vent below the windshield of my slider. It is fed through a Y from the right vent. Even at idle power there is enough air coming to defog the windscreen.

I did not install a fan on on my -9 tip-up.

Never have I needed it in flight; however, there have been a few times when on the ground, on humid days, that the canopy will get covered with moisture, inside and out.

Starting the engine with the canopy cracked clears it almost immediately.

If I have to leave the plane out overnight when frost is expected, I put my canopy cover on. Heck, I put my canopy cover on any time it is left outside.

Remember, "build lightness in."

Last edited:
Install it while still building

Building a 7a tip up and wonder if those flying have ever seen a need for a defroster fan. I've seen websites where some have used small computer fans for this purpose. But if I don't need them, I'd rather not have the weight or complexity.

I don't have it but on several occasions I wish I had a defroster fan. Early departures in dewy mornings and an occasional splash of hard water make the fan useful. :)

Barter%20Island%20-%201.jpg

One computer fan installed in my -7A slider to circulate heat from under the panel to the windshield. Wired into the nav light switch.

I have access to lots of these fans, if anyone is interested.

Back