What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flexible fuel lines from Wing to Selector

simatos

Well Known Member
Wings to go on shortly. Have never been impressed with the Pretzel Logic of the aluminum lines from the side of the fuselage thru the landing gear weldement to the fuel valve. I wonder if anyone has used flex lines for this application, Thanks G:confused:

People have, however like many other tasks, it sounds harder than it ends up being and adds a few pounds and a few more dollars to the build. The aluminum lines supplied work just fine, there are a bunch of tips around about best ways to accomplish the bends. I had mine done in an afternoon.

Chris

Wings to go on shortly. Have never been impressed with the Pretzel Logic of the aluminum lines from the side of the fuselage thru the landing gear weldement to the fuel valve. I wonder if anyone has used flex lines for this application, Thanks G:confused:

You and me both. I threw a little money at it and did flex lines. Easy peasy with no aggravation.

Erich

TS Flightlines

I ordered one piece lines from Tom, TS Flightlines. Once piece from tank to valve.

Put a straight bulkhead fitting at the selector housing and a 90* bulkhead fitting where it goes through the side of the fuselage. Then your line becomes a big "L".

If you elect to dump the junk Van's valve, then you don't have to redo the entire line.

Fuel lines

A straight bulkhead fitting installed in the little rib thats half way between the valve and fuselage side makes install of hard line easier and a future valve change easier. Each to his own but I want the simpler Vans valve in my plane.

Don Broussard

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress

57 Piper Pacer in the meantime

thanks you guys, i am discussing with Tom at Flightline hoses, think I'm going to go that way, Cheers G

Tom will fix you right up, I've got his lines in that location in my plane. There are lots of places in life where you have to do it the hard way, this is not one of them.

bulkhead fitting caution

Put a straight bulkhead fitting...
I'm not familiar with the RV specifically, but used many bulkhead fittings on my Lancair, including in the lines from my wing tanks to the selector valve. It was just impossible to fabricate the ~60" aluminum tubing run with bends and get it into place; It had to be fabricated in two pieces. I had heard that many Lancair builders chose to use long flexhoses rather than aluminum tubing to connect their wing tanks to the selector valve but I thought that was a foolish idea and chose to use a right-angle bulkhead fitting. In retrospect, though, the flexhose guys may have been the smart ones. Bear with me, here.

After logging the first 20 hours, I found that every single B-nut on the aircraft required retorquing, and also the nuts holding the bulkhead fittings to the bulkhead. Everything was just settling in, I suppose, and this has been a one-time thing. In a couple of areas gaining access to both ends of the bulkhead fittings has turned out to be a real P.I.T.A. because I didn't plan ahead for maintenance. If you do choose to use them you will need access to both ends after the area is closed out because you will need a backup wrench to keep the fitting from spinning when torquing the B-nut on the opposite end. There are a couple places on my plane where this requires two people. :( Also keep in mind that every flared fitting is a potential leak.

Back