What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy fairing

Cmore

Hi guys,
I'm about to do my canopy front fairing (tipup) and asked my good mate who is a boat builder and works with composite materials every day for some advice,he recommends laying up the fairing on the canopy but not sticking it down with epoxy but once it dries out to stick it later with some new glue that name escapes me but he assures me it is Perspex friendly.
Did anyone do it this way and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing it like this.
Cheers

I just finished up my canopy fairing for my -7 tipper, and did it the classic way. I still haven't done all the final sanding, etc, to see how well the fairing is bonded to the skirt and plexi.

However, while doing research about this on this site, some folks were suggesting the same type of thing: put some packing tape down and then add som mold release/wax on the substrate, and then do the layup, pop it off when done, and the bond it with sika/proseal/etc. This would seem reasonable if you can identify the right adhesive to stick to the glass, plexi, and aluminum. I sika's my canopy, and can attest, at least, that sika forms a fantastic bond between the plexi and aluminum when cleaned and primed per instructions (others also reported this).

Also, rather than bonding your detachable skirt, you can screw it down, the same way as you would if you made an aluminum canopy fairing.

Last edited:
Maybe the plans have changed since I did my canopy fairing but there was no gluing it down. We used small tabs pop riveted to the canopy skin to hold it in place. This is good practice.

Back