What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab Forward Spar (HS-702) Relief Holes

siclick33

I have been measuring and re-measuring the location of the bend relief holes in the horizontal stab forward spar and I'm pretty sure that I have the mark in the correct place. However if I open this out to 1/4" with a unibit (as per the instructions) then there is no way I will have the edge distance from the hole that will be drilled for the HS-00003 doubler.

The previous posts that I have looked at are from before the introduction of the doubler that is causing me the problem. Has anyone else come across this problem and, if so, how did you resolve it? Does the relief hole have to big as big as is mentioned in the instructions?

Thanks,

Relief holes

I have been measuring and re-measuring the location of the bend relief holes in the horizontal stab forward spar and I'm pretty sure that I have the mark in the correct place. However if I open this out to 1/4" with a unibit (as per the instructions) then there is no way I will have the edge distance from the hole that will be drilled for the HS-00003 doubler.

The previous posts that I have looked at are from before the introduction of the doubler that is causing me the problem. Has anyone else come across this problem and, if so, how did you resolve it? Does the relief hole have to big as big as is mentioned in the instructions?

Thanks,

Here's how I did it.
Set the spar at a 45 degree angle. The hole is drilled at the vertex of the spar flange. Center punch and drill a #40 pilot. Enlarge to a bit that just clears the inside edge of the flange. You should have plenty of edge distance after the remainder of the flange is flattened. If necessary, you can file the relief notch.
Easy to remove material. Hard to put it back. Always err on the side of caution.

Back