What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-slip material for steps

Used 3M safety walk. The rubberized version. Has held up for 550 hours and 5 years. Easily replaceable. The grey was at all the local hardware stores. Black difficult to find. Had to order from some marine supply if I remember right. Used strips for wing walk also.

3M™ Safety-Walk™ Slip-Resistant Medium Resilient Tapes and Treads 310

Medium duty is usually the rubberized. It’s thicker, and doesn’t scratch knees when kneeling on wing walk.

Last edited:
I installed the wing walk strip that Van sells. Just one side only - I always board the -8 from the left wing. After 10 years and 600 hrs, mostly hangared, it still looks and feels like new. In addition to climbing in and out to fly, think of how many times I've climbed in and out doing condition inspections and modifications. It seems to be good stuff.

Had no luck with the tape, so I went with

the wing-walk paint/compound from ACS --- working very well and easy to touch up, if needed.

Ron

I used the wing walk from Flyboys. It is an embossed vinyl, so no sandpaper grit. Only 2 3/4 years and 375 hrs worth of in and outs so far but no peeling and still like new. Not quite as slip resistant as the sandpaper stuff but a lot easier to keep clean and not as hard on the knees when kneeling on it while working on the plane.

Like others have mentioned, you can't go wrong using the skateboard anti skid stuff. It is available in many colors, sticks and wears great, is inexpensive and easily cut to fit. My experience with the paint on stuff is that when it wears out or chips you have to keep on applying more. Eventually you have a big unsightly buildup that you have to strip off. The skateboard anti skid is removable with a little heat.

Last edited:
I bought some anti-skid tape at Home Depot for an exercise board in my basement that has upheld for one year so far, used daily. These were black 1? strips with very robust glue that should work well for your steps. As others have mentioned, you can easily replace this every couple years if necessary. It should last for several years.

I used the rubber non-skid material they sell for gun grips. Available in small sizes and works great. Think it cost me about $3.

Had the painter mix rough sand material into grey polyurethane paint and do the wing walk while he painted the rest of the airplane. This I feel is much better than a "peel and stick" surface. Over 1000 hours and still like new. Absolutely no slip whatsoever - very safe grip under foot.

Back