VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-05-2020, 04:49 PM

The T-6 Texan II has this capability, it is provided via a rocker switch on the throttle, up is Comm 1, down is Comm 2. If I'm understanding correctly what your setup is, you may have to bypass the audio panel since most commercial audio panels aren't setup to be configured this way. The rocker switch is a DPDT switch. I think if you were to connect radio 1 to the "top side" and radio 2 to the "bottom side" neutral will allow the intercom to function as normal. Then split your mic audio input to both radios. The issue then will be removing intercom audio while you are transmitting.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
.... I wired the flip/flop function of the 240 on the stick and I hate it. Have to look inside for a green light (feedback) in the sun to determine if i am transmitting on comm 1 or 2. so I don't even use it.
....Would love to wire #1 and #2 comms independently. If you have a working example, please post it. Thank you and good luck.
Axel,
Stay tuned... My project this week is to do exactly this using an Arduino microprocessor (very inexpensive). It will monitor the Comm1 and Comm2 push buttons on both sticks and the PS-8000 intercomm Comm1 Comm2 output pins (to the radios) and will generate a quick "swap" pulse to my PS-8000 unit if it attempts to transmit on the wrong radio. No relays involved. This design also allows the radio/intercom panel to function normally like you are used to. Relays add way too much mechanical complexity, especially if you need duplicate operation on both sticks in your airplane.
I agree with your comment about flying formation.... Having a dedicated push button that always goes to your flight is a good safety enhancer. I'll let you know when I have the unit installed and tested.
Cheers,
Waldo
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2020 Supporter
Old 04-09-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post
Axel,
Stay tuned... My project this week is to do exactly this using an Arduino microprocessor (very inexpensive). It will monitor the Comm1 and Comm2 push buttons on both sticks and the PS-8000 intercomm Comm1 Comm2 output pins (to the radios) and will generate a quick "swap" pulse to my PS-8000 unit if it attempts to transmit on the wrong radio. No relays involved. This design also allows the radio/intercom panel to function normally like you are used to. Relays add way too much mechanical complexity, especially if you need duplicate operation on both sticks in your airplane.
I agree with your comment about flying formation.... Having a dedicated push button that always goes to your flight is a good safety enhancer. I'll let you know when I have the unit installed and tested.
Cheers,
Waldo
I am interested and will follow. My past aviation experience used this capability routinely. When building my RV-8 it seemed to get complicated quick, so I resorted to a pushbutton flip-flop adjacent to the throttle. The pushbutton does not require visual id to operate, but you're gambling if you don't visually check the audio panel
that the flip actually happened.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:21 PM

It is crazy how 10 years later this resurfaces and people now support the original function requested.

Let me see what happens with this request in 10 years.
To radio manufactures, please implement this. Would give you the upper hand in the market for sure. And if you name the function after me even better.

Dedicated pin to XMIT on primary Freq.

A different dedicated Pin to XMIT on STND BY Freq.

Primary freq has priority over secondary freq for deconfliction.

Mic drop... Let the money pour in.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
... And if you name the function after me even better.

Today it's called Push To Talk (PTT). The new one will be called Push To Axel (PTA).