VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Basic mx info Lycoming

Is there a good reference for doing the basic maintenance on my Lycoming?

Just to do the oil change - I've spent several hours chasing around the manual that came with the engine, their online resources, and corresponding with Lycoming. I still don't find torque values for the oil plug, oil screen, or the oil suction screen.

Am I overthinking this?
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 PM

Check out this document https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...20Complete.pdf, specially page 50 which will list generic torque values for things like crush washers (which is what is used on the suction screen). I will confess I use the good n tite method for the oil sump drain plug, with no issues.

Chris
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM

Default Yes and No.

Yes there are specs for everything. There not much pressure on a drain plug or finger screen plug. 3 to 4" of oil in the pan is not a lot of weight. If you use a good seal "washer, gasket, what ever" snug it down tell it will not leak, then "( SAFETY )" it. I don't think you will have a problem. If it drips every now and then, put a new seal on and try it again.
Hope this helps. Yours, R. E. A. III # 80888
Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM

Oil screen plug is 135 degrees past past initial contact. Crush washer seam goes toward engine. It's very little torque. Don't tighten more than this or it WILL leak. Last time, I thought to myself "Man, this sure feels like it should be tighter than this". So I went more like 180 degrees and of course it leaked. So I redrained my fresh oil into a clean container and redid the whole process again making sure I only went 135 degrees and no more leak from the oil screen plug.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys. I did find the general torque tables in ssp-1776 finally, however I still don't know exactly the size and thread of the oil plug though I'm sure I can get that eventually.

I found the procedure for seating the oil suction screen in an online manual for another model of IO-360 on the Lycoming website - it requires seating it finger tight plus 135 degrees. Must be an NPT type thread.

If I were writing the owner operators manual, Lycoming, I'd at least make some of this info more accessible since you are selling these things to rank amateurs like me

PS just saw your comment Brian - not NPT on the screen but a crush washer - got it now thanks.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/

Last edited by SgtZim : 10-31-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: recent comment
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM

SgtZim, send me your email address, and I can send you my condition inspection checklist. I have spent considerable time putting info in my checklist on how to do things during the inspection, torque values, part numbers, etc. I have a 6A with an 0-360. Can be adjusted to fit your needs but most items carry over.