What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an airplane with a VP-200?

SMO

Well Known Member
I am thinking about relisting my F1 EVO Rocket, and one of the potential downsides for a buyer is the VP-200. I have a complete spare that would go with it, but I wonder if a lot of folks would discount the airplane heavily because of the obsolescence of this unit. I could remove it and put in a VP-X Pro. It would likely be cost neutral except for my time - probably take 2 -3 weeks for me to do (I am slow and methodical but everything usually works when I am done).

The downside to changing it out is that if the airplane doesn't sell, well, I really like the VP-200.

So for airplane buyers out there, what do you think I should do:

1. Leave it and sell it as is with the spare unit?
2. Offer it as is with the option of the VP-X changeout if the buyer wishes?
3. Change it out before offering it for sale because it won't sell with it?

I would go with option 1 and 2.
Offer as is with spare or upgrade (price accordingly). Just be up front with the buyer. You can never have an aircraft that appeals to all potential buyers.

I agree completely that you should do Option 1 and 2, in that order. I have sold several planes with the VP200 installed, and that hasn?t affected the sale. Personally, I would have no problem buying a plane with the VP200. Once you fly with the VP200 you?ll wonder how you could live without it. A huge benefit is that you have replacement parts in the case that they are needed.

Back