What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal?s Caribbean Trip 2013

Day 29: Pecan Plantation (TX) to Payson (AZ)

Hi to our RV Family of Friends!

Day 29 (Saturday May 4th) had us waking up at the home of Martin & Claudia Sutter, having arrived at 2215 following an ~2hr flight from St. Landry, LA.

We had a light breakfast of California Bread and fruit. I was able to get some picture posted of the previous day’s flying from Great Exuma to St. Landry.

Thanks to the Sutters, we were able to fuel at Pecan Plantation, and I led a 3-ship of us, Martin & Claudia and Tom & Bonnie Lewis to Stephenville (SEP) for the Hard 8 BBQ lunch. Flight time was 0.2 hours on my Hobbs meter.

Here’s Tom & Bonnie on the right wing:

Antilles_686.jpg

The approach into Stephenville:

Antilles_687.jpg

Antilles_688.jpg

The ‘group’ waiting on Rosie’s arrival:

Antilles_689.jpg

Antilles_690.jpg

Danny King came minutes after we started the walk to the Hard 8 but I went back to greet him and neighbor Rick:

Antilles_691.jpg

Can you just SMELL that awesome BBQ in that big ol’ roll-top smoker!?!

Antilles_692.jpg

Some truly GREAT FRIENDS including Carl Martin who flew in from Houston to join us!
Left side, front to back: Doug Reeves, Don McDonald, Martin & Claudia Sutter, Bonnie & Tom Lewis and Rick.

Right side, front to back: Jay Pratt, Ross Burgess, Carl Martin, Robert Couch, Tuppergal and Danny King

Antilles_693.jpg

Thanks to Doug “Krash” Reeves for this picture:

Antilles_694.jpg

Before leaving, I pulled up to the hangar to put some extra air into the mains following the Anguilla ‘tire change on the ramp’ incident. Many thanks to RVer Robert Couch for his help on this!

Antilles_695.jpg

Last edited:

Here’s Tuppergal, Garrett Easley (from Skytec Starters: working on his Commercial rating) and Robert Couch:

Antilles_696.jpg

On departure from Stephenville, we had no sooner broke ground when I heard a familiar voice on the radio, 8nm inbound to Stephenville. We turned downwind and returned for a landing. Minutes later, my longtime friends from my early days on the F-117 Stealth Fighter where there to see us: Carl Scheuneman & Dave Gill. BOTH were Field Service Reps from Texas Instruments and provided us with their IR system for targeting:

Antilles_697.jpg

Dave and his wife own this very nice Piper LSA…note the ‘117’!

Antilles_698.jpg

I just HAD to give Dave a ride around the area, and he thoroughly enjoyed it! Once back, we visited a short time then we were on our way to Muleshoe (2T1) for fuel. Dave shot this picture of our departure from Stephenville:

Antilles_699.jpg

We had clear skies all the way into Muleshoe (TX), 1.9 hour flight, 254nm.

Antilles_700.jpg

Antilles_701.jpg

Antilles_702.jpg

Antilles_703.jpg

Here’s the town of Muleshoe:

Antilles_704.jpg

It was only about 20nm to the New Mexico border and our flight path to St. Johns (SJN) took us directly over Portales airport and the Pecos River (I got it right this time Larry Pardue!)

Antilles_705.jpg

Last edited:

Though we had great visibility, the winds and turbulence were HORRIBLE out of Texas so we stayed REAL LOW all the way to St. Johns:

Antilles_706.jpg

Antilles_707.jpg

New Mexico Landscape:

Antilles_708.jpg

Antilles_709.jpg

Antilles_710.jpg

On final to runway 21 at St. Johns after a 324nm, 2.2 hour flight from Muleshoe:

Antilles_711.jpg

Antilles_712.jpg

Beautiful skies to Payson, 110nm in 0.8 hours from St. Johns:

Antilles_713.jpg

Antilles_715.jpg

Antilles_716.jpg

We got the plane secured and then went with our friends to watch their Grandson play in a Little League game....I haven't been to a game in close to 40 years...and from what I can see, those kids need to get off the computers inside and go outside to play with others so they can learn some hand/eye coordination!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Day 30: The final leg...from Payson (AZ) to Southern California

We had arrived into Payson at ~1730 yesterday (Saturday May 4th), and had we wanted to, we could of had dinner on-field and continued home for the final two hours home...but why!?! We have some longtime friends there, the Logan and Vaughn families, and they are responsible for me having owned a powerboat since the summer of 1980. We've spent MANY hours on the Colorado River boating out of Cottonwood Cove (below Hoover Dam) and we ALWAYS stop to see them (and overnight).

We had a wonderful visit with the families and ate Breakfast at Tiny's Restaurant today (Sunday May 5th), and they had us back to the airport by ~1000.

If you are flying in the area, I do recommend you stop and eat at the on-field Crosswinds Restaurant: they have GREAT FOOD too!

Antilles_717.jpg

Here's looking down runway 24 and the climbout:

Antilles_718.jpg

Antilles_719.jpg

Antilles_745.jpg

Antilles_720.jpg

Lake Havasu in the haze:

Antilles_721.jpg

The desert landscape of California:

Antilles_722.jpg

The volcanic rock fields east of Barstow off Interstate 40:

Antilles_723.jpg

Edwards Air Force Base...we are home!

Antilles_724.jpg

Rosamond Dry Lakebed:

Antilles_725.jpg

Last edited:
Day 30: The final leg...from Payson (AZ) to Southern California

We are HOME!!!!!! Here's the Upwind approach to Runway 26:

Antilles_726.jpg

Left downwind with our house and hangar (green dot) in sight:

Antilles_727.jpg

Final approach:

Antilles_728.jpg

The taxi home...

Antilles_729.jpg

Glad to be home with Sheena and Holly!

Antilles_730.jpg

The plane 'unloaded':

Antilles_731.jpg

The trip summary.... lots of flyng...ALL GOOD TIMES!

Antilles_732.jpg

Here's the ground tracks from Saturday and Sunday's flying (the home stretch):

Antilles_733.jpg

It's been a GREAT adventure and we'd do it again in a heartbeat! I can't put into the words how it feels to have accomplished something I'd once dreamed about then turned it into a goal, especially in a plane that my wife and I built together. All I can say for now is WOW, We did it and it was GREAT FUN flying with Friends!!!!

I plan to expand my thoughts on the trip in a week or so but for now, it's time to relax on the couch with dogs-in-lap.

My VERY BEST to all of you who have followed along for the past month and I can only hope that we (as a group) have planted some 'seeds of inspiration' for others to 'stretch your legs' in your RV!

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS to Andrew 'Sharkbait' Brandt, Mike "Keys" Brewton and Indira & Chris "Jailbird" Kleen for joining us on this one month long adventure-flight of a LIFETIME!.

And I can't forget to give thanks to my skypark neighbors Doug & Gail Dodson for joining us off/on during their 'dash' to the equator in their Glasair! It turned out that their 'friends' on Puerto Rico were also OUR friends: Tim 'Toolman' Taylor (AKA Mr. Bieber) and his wife Ruth :)

Keep poundin' them rivets because it TRULY is...ALL WORTH IT! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Hello from Brazil. Thank you very much! for sharing. I'm amazed, envious, and yes, inspired. Hope to be able to do at least half of that trip in the future. All the best to you and your family, Mr. Paul Rosales.

De nada mi amigo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosie, thanks for sharing. Sorry we missed you at Venice, next time give me a call. I hope maybe my wife and I can join you on the next trip.

Great work. Thank you for spending the time to put this together. You were clearly dedicated to do so. An amazing amount of over water flight. Quite an accomplishment. There is no better feeling than landing at home base after completing a great journey.:D

What an awesome report on a epic trip. Your photo mix of people, planes, and places was perfect. The fact that I had the chance to fly with you a couple of years ago, just cemented it all together.

Can we expect a "movie night" at the hanger with you narrating the journey? I would love to sit in on that one. Welcome back, Paul and Victoria.
Great Job!!!

Thanks Rosie!

Thanks for the trip write up it was terrific! Love to come along in 2015. We flew right by your house yesterday morning on our way back from spending a few days in Napa. I hadn't been keeping up with your trip the last few days and didn't know you were coming home yesterday. We probably passed you some where in western Arizona yesterday. I was on with LA center but didn't hear you on the radio. Ugly bumpy yesterday for sure;)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you all made it home safely! Been watching your trek more intently than any movie I've ever seen! Would LOVE to do this someday!

Horrible Turbulence?

Though we had great visibility, the winds and turbulence were HORRIBLE out of Texas so we stayed REAL LOW

If Rosie wrote "horrible" turbulence, he must of had structural damage to the airframe:)!

We got beat up pretty hard...worst I can recall Craig!

Thanks for sharing your grand adventures Rosie and Tuppergal. You guys are truly an inspiration! Sorry we missed you at Hard8 on Saturday, maybe next time :D

It was only about 20nm to the New Mexico border and our flight path to St. Johns (SJN) took us directly over Portales airport and the Pecos River (I got it right this time Larry Pardue!)

Antilles_705.jpg

It's been too long. I can't remember what tactless thing I may have said. Wrong spelling or wrong river? Anyway, good to see the mighty Pecos.

Looks like you guys had a great trip!

Rosie, Thank you. It was wonderful going on vacation with you
in pictures everyday! What a great trip! I feel relaxed and ready
to get back to work :D

Glad to see you home safe.

It was great to be with you for part of this fabulous trip. Janet and I have been following you all the way.
Really missed diving with you the last couple of days at Grand Turk. Hope to see you again in September (Labor Day weekend maybe). (we'll talk.)

Withdrawal symptoms

I admit it. I've had "withdrawal pains" this week from not being able to check in on Rosie and Tuppergal's 2013 adventure to the Caribbean. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoyed the daily updates. :)

I admit it. I've had "withdrawal pains" this week from not being able to check in on Rosie and Tuppergal's 2013 adventure to the Caribbean. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoyed the daily updates. :)

+1, brother. My symptoms started 0630 Monday morning... :D

Looking back on our One Month Flying Caribbean Adventure...

It’s been nearly two weeks since we arrived home to Southern California, and it’s been the HARDEST two weeks of having to go to work in my ENTIRE lifetime! I can tell you that I REALLY MISS being on Island time!!!!! I TOO really MISS checking in with you all on our daily travels in the islands!!!

But this is life, and here I am, in the ‘real world’…but the good news is that I’m writing about our ‘trip of a lifetime’ without having to wait a lifetime to tell you about it!

I have to thank Doug “Krash” Reeves and Van’s Air Force for allowing me to share this trip with you. I also want to thank you ALL OF YOU for following along on our trip and posting all the kind notes here on this thread! Lastly, I thank the MANY of you who wrote personal e-mails that I very much enjoyed (and hopefully replied back to each of you!).

This trip has been two (2) years in the planning, and it was really great that I could share it with these special friends who flew with me for the entire month:

Andrew “Sharkbait” Brandt
Mike “Keys” Brewton
Indira & Chris “Jailbird” Kleen

And let’s not forget these special friends from the first week of the trip on Grand Turk!

Dave “Taco” and Alina “Belle” Bouno
Scott “Scoot” & Tanya “Cookie” Card
Laura & Randy “Deuce” McFarland
Gene “Moody Blue” & Janet “Bun” Larsen
John “Sugar Daddy” and Dani “Trophy Wife” Wilson
Bill, Jody & baby Will Wootton
Steph Hoke (flew with Andrew and left for home from the British Virgin Islands)
Greg & Robin Vouga (arrived to Grand Turk the day after we left)

And lastly, for some of the trip, Doug “Opie” Dodson and his wife Gail (E-Stitch), my skypark neighbors!

Antilles_807.jpg

Standing (L-R): Bill Wootton, Mike Brewton, Steph Hoke, Scott & Tanya Card, Andrew Brandt, Laura McFarland, Dani Wilson, Janet Larsen, Dave & Alina Bouno, Chris & Indira Kleen, Doug Dodson

Kneeling (L-R): Rosie, Tuppergal, Randy McFarland, John Wilson, Gene Larsen

So here’s a summary report of how the trip went and I’ll be sure to correct this very post when I re-read it again and think of something I missed. Here goes…

COST
I have been asked by many people, “How much does it cost?” Back in 2004, when I first started flying with Jim “Jimmyb” Baker to the Caribbean, gas was cheap (compared to what it is today: I recall paying something like $2/gallon in 2004). When I got home from that first trip, I figured it cost me an average of $300/day, and I was gone for two weeks.

Now keep in mind that I did not spend $300/day….some days were more and some days were less. When flying in the USA, those days cost ‘less’ because we stay with friends who house and feed us (thank you very much!). Flying all day, staying and eating in a USA hotel costs a bit more. Flying all day, staying and eating in a foreign country costs the most.

Then the costs settle down for a week in the islands since you are not flying but still paying for hotel and food and all the ‘other’ costs that go with a vacation…souvenirs, taxi’s, tips…this list goes on and on. But let me tell you this, and those who have flown with me on these trips have heard this over and over and over again:

“We did not fly all the way here in our RVs to save money!” And that’s the truth!

We flew here because we wanted to fly here in the airplanes we built (or bought)!

So here’s a rundown of how costs have gone up over the years, and don’t forget that I have to fly all the way from California to near Miami to even begin the open-water legs:
2005: (Still) About $300/day to the Cayman Islands
2007: About $350/day going back to the Turks & Caicos (2-week trip)
2009: About $400/day going back to the Cayman Islands (2-week trip)
2011: About $400/day going to the Bahamas (3-week trip with 1-week in the USA)
2013: About $450/day flying the Caribbean (4-weeks) trip (and no regrets!)

Just like you, I go to work and save money away to take a (< 4 week) vacation every year. And I’ll continue to plan an ‘Islands’ trip every odd year from here on out :)

I recommend using either the the Capital One or Discover credit card as they DO NOT charge foreign transaction fees. We used the card whenever we could, and we spent ~$4500 cash. US Dollars where accepted everywhere except in Martinique-France where they took only Euros.

PLANNING:
It’s not too hard to do when you are following somebody like I did in 2004 chasing Jimmyb, Seismo and Lucky to the Turks & Caicos but sure is a LOT easier to plan for myself now having done a few times! I’m still calling Jimmyb with questions but they are getting fewer as the years go by. As for the time of year, I have found that April is the best month for flying to the Caribbean. It’s either the end of the high-season or beginning of the low-season (hotels costs less).

It also has helped that we were ‘returnees’ to the Hideaways in the Bahamas, the Osprey Beach Hotel in the Turks and Paradise Villas in the Caymans as they ALWAYS give our group a GREAT RATE (much less than if you went on your own). And I don’t mind going back to an island I like…I’m still houseboating at Lake Trinity (in Northern California) going on my 29th summer this year (2013).

As for accomodations, we only had reservations at the front end of the trip (Grand Turk & Virgin Gorda: places I've stayed before) since I knew that I wanted to be on Grand Turk for three (3) nights and Virgin Gorda for five (5) nights: WE LOVE VIRGIN GORDA!!!. After that, we were free to fly where we wanted and stay as long (or little) as we wanted. We used hotels.com to look for rooms, and we made the reservations the night before we left the island since we already knew (weather-wise) if we'd be leaving the next day. The room rates dropped a LOT when making the reservation the day before!

Prefilled-out forms for both General Declarations (GenDecs) and International Flight Plans saved lots of time too! I took 120 GenDecs and nearly used them all. 50 flights plans were more than enough. Here's a copy of a GenDec and International Flight Plan (X's mean: I don't have this):

Antilles_809.jpg

Antilles_808.jpg

And MANY THANKS again to Jim Parker at Caribbean Flying Adventures for answering all the calls and e-mails on flying the Caribbean!

Last edited:

FLYING OVER WATER
Either you will or you won’t. We built our plane and we trust our plane. I’ve also been hit by two drunk drivers and took a ricochet off the head from a freeway shooting so I'm good with flying over water...the plane has no idea it’s flying over water. We carried (wore) all the necessary survival gear. Flying with others in-sight was comforting... The island chain all the way from the Bahamas over the Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands to Grenada can be flown with land-in-sight. The only exceptions on our trip were the Dominican Republic-to-Curaçao and Bonaire-to-Grenada legs (and we'll fly commerical next time to Bonaire!).

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

NAVIGATION
I (and Mr. Garmin 496) led the group to the Turks & Caicos (third time for me so it was easy) then I followed 'Lead' for the rest of the trip. Navigation for me was keeping lead in sight!!! Honestly, except for the three-hour, ~450nm leg from Bonaire to Grenada where the Venezuelan controllers separated us in distance and altitude, we all flew within 1/4 mile of each other so you just put the autopilot on and ‘paced’ lead…all the while listening to your IPOD :)

LUGGAGE
We’ve learned to pack using just ONE carry-on size bag that doubles as a backpack. It's definitely much easier to 'wear' your luggage rather than 'carry' your luggage...Jailbird! I recommend this one from ebags.com:

Antilles_796.jpg

Your going to be in the Caribbean where it’s warm so you only need a couple of swim suits, a pair of shorts, couple of pairs of underwear, MAYBE two shirts because you’ll buy shirts as souvenirs on the Island…you get the picture. DO NOT overpack…keep it light :)

TOOLS
My Achilles-heel has been my Hyundai car alternator (which has been good to me since I finally put a big blast tube on it) but I still carry a spare placed between the battery box and my fuel selector valve (between our legs…Big can of mixed nuts goes on top of the alternator). Also in the tool bag:

Master and Starter Solenoid
Sparkplugs (2)…one for me and one for a friend
Brake O-rings
Couple of small, red rags
Small Tupperware canister of nuts, screws, bolts, cotter pins…all things hardware
One pint of brake fluid with a small oil can to pump it
Spare main & nose tube (which I used on this trip)
Small wood block (for setting the axle on when changing a tire)
Small tube of GOJO hand cleaner with a handful of blue (paper) shop towels
Valve stem remover
Lots of hand tools, probably more than I need but I like having the right tool
Safety Wire pliers & Safety wire stored in an old 35mm film canister
Clear (white) navigation bulb should my red or white nav light burn out.
Exhaust gaskets and hangers
6” of 3/8” fuel line
EGT and CHT probes
SPARE ALTERNATOR & GARMIN 496!!!!

I’ll add more to this list when I can check the toolbag.

AIRCRAFT ISSUES
Issue 1: One flat tire in Martinique that took about 30 minutes to change out the tube. Two persons can lift the wing of an RV:

Antilles_619.jpg

Issue 2: One dead battery on Beef Island (dummy me ran back to the plane to put the flaps up and not sure what I did after that). I had a feeling I’d left it on, and e-mailed Opie who was flying in the next day to Beef Island. He checked the master..yup, it was on. After diving, I caught the 1300 ferry to Tortola, took Mr. Toad’s ‘wild ride’ in a taxi to Beef Island, pulled the battery then caught the 1800 ferry from the airport (Trellis Bay) to Virgin Gorda, about a six (6) hour adventure costing about $80 in ferry fees. Borrowed a 2-amp battery charger from the rental car guy and took the battery with me on the ferry back to Beef Island for our departure to the Dominican Republic.

Issue 3: My 'roll' autopilot servo broke a shear pin early on, and it would have been nice to have it on the long, open-water legs. I coupled the autopilot in 'pitch' and just moved the stick left/right to maintain course.

Other that this, the plane ran perfectly! Oh yes…if you recall, though not an issue, I did an oil change at Homestead before leaving so that saved me 14 hours of using new oil from California to Miami had I not changed it. I put 70 hours on the oil and added five (5) quarts during the trip.

AIRPORT FEES
Remember: Everyone is CREW in your two-seat aircraft…this would be a ‘tough-sell’ in a 4-seat aircraft. The reason being is that CREW (as in airline crew, cargo crew, RV crew) do NOT pay a per-person departure tax, which ranges anywhere from $20-40 per passenger

As mentioned in a previous post, to get through the departure gate to your plane, you need to place your Pilot’s License in your passport, then hand your passport to the gate agent. Your Pilot’s License is your ‘boarding pass’ and this gets you through the metal detector to the door that leads you out to the ramp (and you feel like rock star security opens the door for you giving you unescorted access while all the ‘passengers’ waiting for their flight are looking at you and wondering why you are so special!).

One gate agent ‘called my bluff’ and asked to see Tuppergal’s Pilot license… so he made me go back and pay the $40 departure tax…BUT HERE’S THE WAY AROUND IT!!!! Never EVER, even ONCE, did the gate agent pull my pilot’s license out of my passport to look at it! They just waived me through. So my suggestion to you (for those of you who built your plane and your passenger is not a pilot. HINT, HINT, HINT!!!! Place YOUR repairman's certificate in their passport! No one will ever read it…they just want to see it sticking out of your passport! Honest, take your repairman's certificate for your passenger!

There are ALWAYS landing fees and you will pay those either at airport ‘departure’ (tax) office when you depart or at the tower when you file your flight plan. I don’t recall paying more than $15/plane for a landing (will bounce this off Keys/Jailbird). I do recall that the Dominican Republic charged us $30/plane for ‘I have no idea what’ since I thought the Dominican Republic Tourist reps told me at OSH there were ‘no fees’. We paid it…

And come to think of it, I have to tell you that the most expensive fees were (sadly) in the Turks & Caicos. I haven’t checked my receipt for my arrival there on April 9th but I can tell you on the return leg (Thursday May 2) I paid $250 for fuel and walked out with a receipt for a total of $410. I’ll probably not ever return until that changes just on principle!

Last edited:

SUMMARY (which I’ll add to later…)

I’m so VERY GLAD that Tuppergal and I made this month-long trip, and it was even MORE SPECIAL making the month-long trip with Keys, Sharkbait, Jailbird & Indira!

It probably helped that we’ve all traveled together in the past so there were going to be no surprises when flying with Rosie. And thank you all for letting me touch your plane :)

When flying with Rosie…you just fly IFR…”I Follow Rosie” as Seismo says! But it was also good to let Sharkbait and Keys lead some of the legs to gain experience…not flying but having to talk with foreign controllers…getting four (4) planes on the ground can be a challenge but is do-able! Jailbird did his fair share of leading but he's an 'Old Salt' when it comes to flying the Islands!

It was also a new but fun challenge flying to foreign airports for the very first time and trying to figure out who wants what, where they want it, and how much they want!

Here's the list of 23 islands we landed at:

Anegada (British Virgin Islands)
Anguilla
Beef (British Virgin Islands)
Bequia
Bonaire
Canouan
Carriacou
Culebra (Puerto Rico)
Curaçao
Dominica
Grand Turk (Turks & Caicos)
Great Exuma (Bahamas)
Grenada
Hispaniola (Dominican Republic)
Martinique
Nevis
Providenciales (Turks & Caicos)
Puerto Rico
St. Croix (US Virgin Islands)
St. Lucia
St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
Union
Vieques (Puerto Rico)

Antilles_806.jpg

Antilles_732.jpg

MANY THANKS again to Mike Bullock at http://rvplane.com for getting me back online with a login and webspace!

If there’s something I missed here and you’d like to know about it, post here to this thread or e-mail me and I’ll get to it for you!

I keep saying it but really mean it: THANKS SO MUCH FOR FLYING ALONG! You too Don Hull & Daryl Tolliver!

I hope we’ve inspired some of you to get out and ‘spread your wings’!

Keep poundin’ them rivets because it’s ALL WORTH IT!

Rosie & Tuppergal

PS: If you happen to see Jailbird or Keys on the ramp, here’s three things you can say to them…and then get a good laugh out of them:

“What Island is this?”
“Are we over water yet?”
Click-Click

Last edited:
You guys are amazing and truly inspiring. Many of us live vicariously through your adventures. Thank you so much for sharing. I haven't seen you in a few years and I hope to catch up with you in OSH if I can.

I'm planning some adventures in the -12 when it's done, but nothing like this. Take care and blue skies!

From Rosie: WoW Randy...it's been 13 years now since we met at the OSH VAF Banquet in 2000!!! You bet we'll be looking for you (and your son who is 13 years older) at OSH!

Back