What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Pan Plate Nuts ???

mmcdonald

Plans call for pop rivets to fasten RV-3 seat pan and baggage compartment floor sheet.

Was wondering about using plate nuts to allow access to void under seat pan?

All comments/opinions appreciated!

During the seven years I have owned my -3, I have not needed access there. If you should need to get under there, I think the pop rivets could be drilled out just about as easily as removing screws and more so if any screws are seized.

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Although many of Van's designs call for Pop riveting down certain sections of floorboards, doing so precludes using any of that space for mounting any of the myriad of boxes/antennas that go along with current technology requirements. And, sometimes at annual, I just want to look under there to see what I can see.

I try to use as much of that (now) available space as possible to lessen the burden of "where does that go?". Of course, the easiest time to do the nutplate install is when the fuselage is still in the upside down, skin off position. Fitting and installing everything "upside down" requires some retraining of the left (right ?) brain, but worthwhile when considering the convenience of access to formers and longerons when installing the nutplates themselves.

I've used this process on my -4, HRII and the -3 currently under construction - and will do so on any future builds that come my way.

David Howe

Last edited:
Back