What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R-903 trailing edge

As a first time builder I'm taking the blind rivet option on the trailing two holes of top and bottom ribs. All was well till I got to the final rivet, which butts up against the opposite side shop head.

Am I thinking right that the rivet will slowly lower into position as it is pulled, or is this just wishful thinking? Should I try and bend the rib out slightly (not my preferred option)?

Thoughts?

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/NewyRGT/media/DSC01302.jpg.html]
DSC01302.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Short answer,
No, I don't think the rivet will pull in to place as you set it.
I have never seen a pull rivet draw in to its final position when it started out like that.

Not building a 7 so I am not familiar those part numbers.
What are you working on?
Is there no way to open the part enough to allow full insertion of the pull rivet before setting it?

When I built all my tail surfaces I used regular rivets plus back riveting and was able to get the skins open enough to make that happen without issues.

Mine did the same and it pulled down as the rivet was squeezed but you have to keep pressure on it to do so.

I believe I used a wedge of wood to, very slightly, hold that gap open a bit more to give me some room to work. Then the rivet did set properly.

Mine did the same and it pulled down as the rivet was squeezed but you have to keep pressure on it to do so.

Really? That's interesting. I have seen a few people attempt it on various projects and the results were never good. Glad to hear it can be done.

Two solid rivets. If you use back riveting plate, and use a cold chisel (or bucking device of your choice) ground to the correct angle between the two tails, you can drive it in as you hit it with the gun. Two rivets with one shot.

Well, that was easy! As expected the rivet lowered nicely into position as the ball pulled through the rivet stem.

It was such a non-event that I actually feel stupid for asking the question in the first place.

Back