What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable GPS?

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
I have been trying to decide a strategy for managing the Garmin 496. If you make it easily removable, then if you leave the aircraft is parked somewhere like on a cross country, you have the possibilty of theft. There is no canopy lock on the 12 and even if you had it, the typical thief might break the bubble trying to get in. You could remove the GPS though and pack it around with you, kind of a nuisance.
On the other hand, if you install it without making it removable there is going to be a big hassle to update the aviation database. You will need to install a USB extension cable, maybe in from the map box so you can hook up a laptop to the GPS. But, the FlyGarmin software needs to have an active internet connection to update the 496. No internet in most hangars. So that means disassembling the whole GPS mount to get it out and take it home. I have emailed Garmin about a work around for this but have not gotten an answer yet.
The other issue is cosmetic. I care what my panel looks like. If you enlarge the GPS cutout enough to get the unit out from the front then the hole becomes unsightly in my opinion. So, to make it removeable, I would install the Airgizmo dock after certification, which makes a professional looking job of it. Big hassle though, because throttle, choke and heat cables would have to be removed to get the center panel off. This could have been done right to begin with.
Has anyone figured out how to update the 496 with it in the plane and no active internet connection? Maybe you can not.

Tony

Last edited:
Air Gizmo

I don't understand why Van's didn't use the Gizmo. I happened to have one and can't see that it would add additional weight and there is plenty of room. I'm working on other things right now and, choosing to go EAB, allows me to make that decision during the build.

Tom

12 security

I went another way. Since it does not have a lock to provide security I fit the GPS so that it can not be removed from the panel. It is pretty obvious that it can't. I bought the canopy cover and use it. When we are away from the airplane we take the headsets in a dual headset bag and then cover the canopy. I realize that is pretty thin as security goes. Out of sight out of mind. People peeking under canopy covers are a bit more obvious and noticeable on an airport ramp.

I have posted here before that on our old -6 we had a canopy lock and kept it locked. We had nothing removable in the panel but we tended to leave head sets etc. in the cockpit. Some one tried to brake in once. They could not get in but did manage to crack the canopy. It is way cheaper to have them steal something than brake the canopy.

I don't think that there is a good security option for any airplane. If someone sees something they want they will break in to try to get it and probably damage the airplane at the same time. I think it is more a commentary on people than having anything to do with security.

I plan to mount my Aera in a Gizmo mount as soon as they make one available. Until then, i'm hacking one of the stock Garmin mounts to mount it to the dash in a way that makes it removable. My canopy *does* have a lock, but I still expect to remove headsets and GPS when I park it. I figure if I am carrying headsets away, carrying a GPS away isn't an issue.

And really, with the Aera having a full north amerian driving database as well as aviation, if i've flown to some remote town i'm probably going to *want* the GPS with me anyway... So I can find my way back to the plane!

My 496 is mounted with an Airgizmo in my RV-9.

When traveling I take the 496 out and use it in auto mode to find my destination. (The 496 holds the entire North American road database, unlike the 396.)

Removeable GPS

When Steve Davis (http://www.thepanelpilot.com/) cut my panel, he made this piece for my 496:

496bracket.jpg

I took the receiver clip off the yoke mount supplied with the 496 and mounted it to the blank. Bent the legs to place the face of the 496 in line with the rest of the radio stack. Looks like this:

496mounted.jpg

Tony, thanks for the ground loop insulator. Following is history as far as you early RV12ers, however, me being a late/non-builder bloomer, am thinking along your lines below. What do you think about this? Rather than disassemble the panel to remove the thin fascia and then install a gizmo-- just cut the thin facia, not the rack, with a dremmil tool/saw, horizontally on each side of the radio which should be the narrowest points/less obvious and non structural, on the facia and unscrew the top half of the facia which encloses the 496. Then measure and resize the facia and install the 496 gismo and fascia?

Doug in IL

I have been trying to decide a strategy for managing the Garmin 496. If you make it easily removable, then if you leave the aircraft is parked somewhere like on a cross country, you have the possibilty of theft. There is no canopy lock on the 12 and even if you had it, the typical thief might break the bubble trying to get in. You could remove the GPS though and pack it around with you, kind of a nuisance.
On the other hand, if you install it without making it removable there is going to be a big hassle to update the aviation database. You will need to install a USB extension cable, maybe in from the map box so you can hook up a laptop to the GPS. But, the FlyGarmin software needs to have an active internet connection to update the 496. No internet in most hangars. So that means disassembling the whole GPS mount to get it out and take it home. I have emailed Garmin about a work around for this but have not gotten an answer yet.
The other issue is cosmetic. I care what my panel looks like. If you enlarge the GPS cutout enough to get the unit out from the front then the hole becomes unsightly in my opinion. So, to make it removeable, I would install the Airgizmo dock after certification, which makes a professional looking job of it. Big hassle though, because throttle, choke and heat cables would have to be removed to get the center panel off. This could have been done right to begin with.
Has anyone figured out how to update the 496 with it in the plane and no active internet connection? Maybe you can not.

Tony

Your plan sounds like it would work. Biggest problem I think would be making those two short cuts cleanly so the job looks good. I would slip some thin sheet metal behind the area to be cut to keep from nicking the stack angles. I would remove both the radio and the transponder and mask everything off really well; there will be a lot of metal dust from the cutting. If you haven't removed these units ever before review the installation manuals (available on-line) and there are also posts in this forum on how to get them out. I do know that the AirGizmo will fit between the stack angles but you may have to drill mounting holes.

Good!

Tony, ? is disassembling/removing from the panel; the throttle, choke control, heater control, ap disconnect button a big to do, to do? And if at all avoidable do so. then avoid.....because....... there will be un-fun nagging adjustments to deal with later because Things Got Disturbed....???

I'm just trying to avoid nagging avoidable issues....

Thanks,
Doug

Yes, removing the engine and cabin heat cables is kind of a big deal. Next time you have the cowls off, take a look at things. I assume you have the plans for your ship? The cabin heat cable is probably the most trouble. The choke cable is fairly easy to remove and reinstall unless the cable ends get untwisted. Same for the throttle cable. The carbs will need to be re synced, naturally. If you don't mind the work involved, it is very doable.

There are some posts in the forum on how to slot those cable holes in the center panel so you don't have to remove the cables in the future.

All in all, there is not a lot of payback for that much work. The option of leaving the 486 installed as you currently have it makes sense.

out of sight out of mind is the way i go. the locks are for honest people. if someone wants the unit i would rather they not tear up my skin or canopy to get it. i don't have a lock but i pull my gps out of the panel and take it with me or stash it in the bucket under the rag i check oil with if i am concerned.
would you rather lose a $600 gps or have a broken canopy and a damaged skin that will never be the same again?

Yes, removing the engine and cabin heat cables is kind of a big deal. Next time you have the cowls off, take a look at things. I assume you have the plans for your ship? The cabin heat cable is probably the most trouble. The choke cable is fairly easy to remove and reinstall unless the cable ends get untwisted. Same for the throttle cable. The carbs will need to be re synced, naturally. If you don't mind the work involved, it is very doable.

There are some posts in the forum on how to slot those cable holes in the center panel so you don't have to remove the cables in the future.

All in all, there is not a lot of payback for that much work. The option of leaving the 486 installed as you currently have it makes sense.

Hey Tony, just back from the field. The isolator made no difference. Unplugging the 496 cables did. At this point I'm left with removing and moving on (I'll hang on to the isolator for potential later use) which is good. I guess the builder and second owner just flew it single seat in pilot isolate mode where it doesn't have any noise. It's too uncomfortable to fly with a pax with that noise though, but I just fixed that with Joes help. I'm gonna take it out and put a gizmo in so I can remove and charge battery. Height looks tight for gizmo but will see. Than you for your ideas.

Your plan sounds like it would work. Biggest problem I think would be making those two short cuts cleanly so the job looks good. I would slip some thin sheet metal behind the area to be cut to keep from nicking the stack angles. I would remove both the radio and the transponder and mask everything off really well; there will be a lot of metal dust from the cutting. If you haven't removed these units ever before review the installation manuals (available on-line) and there are also posts in this forum on how to get them out. I do know that the AirGizmo will fit between the stack angles but you may have to drill mounting holes.

Thanks Tony and it worked. Used Dremel cutting disk at the narrowest center panel two lateral verticals, right through/across the two screw holes (2x1/4" cuts per side). The panel neatly slid out allowing to mount a 660 gizmo and reinstall. Retains function and looks good.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony and it worked. Used Dremel cutting disk at the narrowest center panel two lateral verticals, right through/across the two screw holes (2x1/4" cuts per side). The panel neatly slid out allowing to mount a 660 gizmo and reinstall. Retains function and looks good.
Sure would like to see some before-between-after pics of that.

Back