What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 Actin' funny, but I don't know why!

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
My 696 is doing some crazy stuff. Check out the video. At first I'm just trying to rotate the knob to change pages. It kept trying to go back to the far right info page. After I got it to stop on the map page I then tried to select KMMI from the RECENT list. The unit kept automatically and rapidly going to the bottom of the list to KMIA. This was an intermittent problem during 5 hours of flight time today.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

[URL=http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l595/keithward1/N818KW/IMG_3992_zpsj2wkiqso.mp4][/URL]

Last edited:
I got an error when I tried to look at your video. Says you either deleted the video, or renamed it. ??

However, I could see your photo of your alternator.

Last edited:
Good suggestion on the firmware... even if it is not new features, it will be a clean install. Corupt software seems to be indicated.
I had some similar trouble and firmware fixed it.
They have a tech line to talk you through it... if you have trouble.

Problem solved

So I tried to reinstall 7.10 firmware and couldn't even get to the database update menu due to the erratic behavior of all the buttons and joystick knob.

I called Garmin and they walked me through a system reset process.

Here's how it goes: TWO hands required! Hold down the left and right bottom soft buttons, and then hold down the clear button and power button. Hold all four down until a wide red border appears on the screen. When this appears the unit will then start in it's normal fashion.

BEWARE that this will wipe out all user info, including: recents, weight & balance, fight plans, etc, etc. This didn't matter to me, so I tried it. The reset fixed all the issues I was having with no need to reinstall 7.10.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Keith

Back