What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you think?

joe1968

Well Known Member
Hi, want some opinions on this, I am 46 yrs old and always wanted to fly. I started my lessons and have been thinking about building a RV7 while I am doing my lessons. I have worked in a Avionics shop for 10 yrs so do have experience. What are your thoughts on this?

Joe

Hi Joe,
Sounds similar to what I did back when I started flying. I was in the Navy for 8 years doing avionics...got out after 8 years and starting taking flying lessons. I was 28 years old, but age shouldn't matter if you pass your medical. I didn't start building my RV until I had my license for a few years, but your plan sounds pretty good...hopefully you'll be certified by then and have a couple hundred hours in your logbook.

Good luck...sounds like you've got a plan!

Joe, there has been more than a few folks ask that question in the past------and as I recall, the general consensus it to do it.

I would recommend you get a flight in a few different RV models before committing to one.

Also, consider family..........maybe you will need more seats??

I got my private at age 48 right after I finished my RV if it helps :)

PS how is the weather upstate NY?

Thanks

Thanks Guys, it's warm today been terrible last few days. Just me and the wife and thanks I'm gona try to find some rv'is in the area

Joe

Joe, you had better fill your refrigerator!

Don't worry about your background. There have been many very nicely RV's built by people with less experience than you.

The RV-4 that I now own was built by a guy who had never taken flying lessons. He learned to fly in the -4 after he built it, starting out in the back seat (rudder pedals w/no brakes) until he could land it without brakes.

Get a ride in the model you want, and if you like it, start building.

Charlie

Hi, want some opinions on this, I am 46 yrs old and always wanted to fly. I started my lessons and have been thinking about building a RV7 while I am doing my lessons. I have worked in a Avionics shop for 10 yrs so do have experience. What are your thoughts on this?

Joe

My answer is to finish your private license before you commit to a build project. Many people drop out somewhere along the way to their license.

The first step into a build requires a sizeable investment in tools and an empennage kit. You'll probably get pennies on the dollar on that expense if you decide to unload it at some point prior to completion, so be 100% sure this is the thing for you before you head down that road.

Last edited:
I did not hear you say this, but you build because you think you will enjoy the build experience. I know I did. But do not under estimate the time commitment. If you do not like the build experience it will turn to pain, better off to buy a used one in that case.

PS make sure the spouse is on-board with the years you will spend on this.

Back