What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Connext update to support iOS devices

humptybump

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

For those who are working on panels based around the G3X Touch, I wanted to let you know some details regarding the Connext capability.

UPDATE: read post #13 below - an updated config module supports Apple products

Original post follows ...

Currently, Garmin is working with Apple for implementation of Connext for iOS. At the moment, neither iPhones nor iPads are supported.

g3x_touch_connext-320x353.jpg
g3x_touch_connext_nexus-320x353.jpg

Further, the Connext capability will not work with iPhone 4 & 4S. It will require the newer hardware.

Lastly, I am also working with Garmin engineers to test Connext with Android 4.4 on Nexus 7. It should work but is not working for me. (I'll amend this post when we are able to get it working).

This is by no intent "Garmin bashing". I have had nothing but exceptional service from their support team and have been very happy with their products (past and present). This is primarily a PSA and as the details change I will update this thread (as well as ask for it to be deleted when it is no longer valid).

Last edited:
Are you sure this is still the case with the latest version? I just had an update to Garmin Pilot on my iPhone, and the change log said that it was to enable Connext support. I don't have my G3X Touch yet, so I'm unable to test...

Yes. This is as of today noon (EDT). In my test case, the GDU460 is running 2.7 and Garmin Pilot is 7.1.0

im working on the assumption this really is just a "point in time" statement.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The recent Garmin Pilot update (7.1.0) added support for the Flight Stream 210/110 interfaces. There is a difference between Flight Stream and the G3X Touch Connext.

We will need to wait for a Garmin Pilot App update for G3X Touch Connext support with Android.

Additionally, iOS users will need a new "config module". These are just starting to ship out with the latest batch of G3X Touch (GDU 460) units. Those of us with units already in hand will need a new module (in addition to the Garmin Pilot is update) in order to have iOS support.

I hope this information helps. (Also, "g3xpert", if I goofed I hope you will correct me.)

Last edited:
I have Garmin pilot with Connext working on my iPhone 5 and on my nexus 7 with android. The nexus 7 had a few issues pairing with the GDL 39 but that was it. Works great.

Don, are you connecting your iPhone to the GDL39 or to a G3X?

The GDL39 has been working for me as well for weather.

My comments above were meant only for the G3X Touch (GDU460) and flight plan transfer.

No worries Don. I have been flying with a GLD39 for just under 2 yrs and really can't imaging flying without it. It quickly became part of my work flow on cross country flights.

I should have one of the new config modules in a couple of days and can update this thread.

Last edited:
Garmin Pilot seems to be the week link

i was looking forward to using the connex system in coordination with my 430, but not ready yet. Garmin Pilot customer service confirmed what I found. No way at present to select an approach on the garmin app. You can select an arrival, but not an approach.

With the 430 so easy to set an approach using the connex just doesn't add any functionality until they upgrade the app. With a 650 or G3 the delta would be even smaller.

Paul, as I understand it, with the 4xxW/5xxW we need a Flight Stream 210.

Is that what you've been using / investigating?

UPDATE: (March 2015) - with a software update to the 4xxW/5xxW series and bidirectional serial from the G3X Touch, you will not need a Flight Stream 210.

Last edited:
Yes. We would need the flight stream 210 which gives you ADSB as part of th deal. But only on garmin pilot. So the pros and cons has me sticking with my dual ADSB and flyq to now. I'd like to go with the garmin solution but not until garmin pilot catches up.

Part 1 of the integration of the G3X Touch with Garmin Pilot on iOS is done!

I replaced the config module with an updated one from Garmin. This provides bluetooth support for Apple devices.

Ihq9wj7XRW9eiJps-381x640.jpg

Once the Garmin Pilot App is updated, we will be able to flight plan on the ground and then load the plan direct to the G3X.

Thanks to Garmin and @G3Xpert for the updated config module :)

Last edited:
If a moderator could change to OP title, I think it can now read: "Garmin G3X Touch Connext update to support iOS devices"

Thanks!

New Config Module with iOS support

When you installed the new config module did it automatically transfer the old settings? Wondering how much attention I need to place on copying all the old settings before replacing the module. Hopefully just a quick swap and update Garmin on the new system ID.

Chris

Save your fuel tank calibration settings

Chris,

I know that I lost my fuel tank calibration at a minimum. Before you change the module you can save the calibration data to the SD card and then load from there after you change the module. I can't recall if it transferred or not but at least write down your fuel flow calibration number before you change the module just in case.

After the upgrade I saved my fuel calibration data to another pair of spare SD cards and labeled them just in case I need them in the future.

Andy

New config module caused no issues

Changed out the config module yesterday. Wrote down important settings and backed up the fuel calibration. Ultimately didn't need any of it as the system came right up with the new module and all settings intact. Flight plan transfer and info worked great between garmin pilot and the G3x Touch.

Now we need to update the 430w to 5.2 and see if flight plans will transfer to that device.

Chris

Say moderators, seeing as how the G3X Touch system has supported iOS devices for many months now, perhaps we could either change the title of this thread or close it out?

thanks,
- Matt

Matt, I hope a moderator will change the title. Closing the thread leaves the bad title around for searches.

HEY EVERYONE! G3X TOUCH WORKS WITH CONNEXT AND ITS OUTSTANDING !!!

BTW: for my last flight review, I did my flight plan one iPhone. I then went tithe plane and loaded the flight plan from the iPhone via CONNEXT to the G3X Touch. Then I switched to "external GPS" and loaded the flight plan to the GTN625. It was a breeze.

Say moderators, seeing as how the G3X Touch system has supported iOS devices for many months now, perhaps we could either change the title of this thread or close it out?

thanks,
- Matt

+1

Leaving this title hanging around is very misleading. It would be nice if the OP would take it on himself to change it, however absent that at the minimum a change by the mods, or at the very least lock the thread. G3X Touch DOES, and HAS supported IOS devices VERY well for quite a while. Garmin has done an OUTSTANDING job with their GA products IMO.

Hi Steve. Only moderators can change post titles. The requestcforcthectittle change was made as soon as Garmin addressed the issue (more than five months ago).

I'll PM a moderator and see if this can be corrected.

mine works with connext, however it does not pull any information from the GDL39R which I have bluetooth'd to my second G3X screen, so if a bluetooth connection to the iPad from the GDL39R is required, i don't think i can do it?

i was assuming the G3X would use the bluetooth to the iPad to share the GDL39R info it has

what am i doing wrong?

mine works with connext, however it does not pull any information from the GDL39R which I have bluetooth'd to my second G3X screen, so if a bluetooth connection to the iPad from the GDL39R is required, i don't think i can do it?

i was assuming the G3X would use the bluetooth to the iPad to share the GDL39R info it has

what am i doing wrong?

Hello Brian,

The G3X Touch display does not forward data from the GDL 39 to your iPad; there is no need, as you can simply establish a second Bluetooth connection between the iPad and the GDL 39. For further information, please see section 8.11 in the G3X Touch Pilot's Guide (rev D).

- Matt

Back