What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Tubing inside Wing

jjglennon

Good Evening,
The pitot tubing runs from the external pitot tube under the fuel tank and into the fuselage. During wing construction, how much excess tubing should I leave at the fuselage end? When the time comes to connect the airspeed indicator to the pitot tubing exiting the wing, how is it done?
Thanks.
John

Not certain about the 6 but here goes. Minimum tubing is enough to get inside the fuselage, so probably a foot. You should be able to make a union under the seat pan. If you don't want that joint, then I suggest 4-5 feet extra from the wing. Connection to airspeed indicator may vary (depends on your particular airspeed indicator) from barbed fitting to a compression fitting where you just push the tubing into the fitting and it grabs.

Greg

I chose to make the union from plastic line to the aluminum pitot line inside the wing root. Just leave a foot or so of line and you will have plenty if you choose to do it there.

Not certain about the 6 but here goes. Minimum tubing is enough to get inside the fuselage, so probably a foot. You should be able to make a union under the seat pan. If you don't want that joint, then I suggest 4-5 feet extra from the wing. Connection to airspeed indicator may vary (depends on your particular airspeed indicator) from barbed fitting to a compression fitting where you just push the tubing into the fitting and it grabs.
Greg

The pitot line runs on the forward side of the spar on the -6. So no need to go under the seat pan.

The pitot line runs on the forward side of the spar on the -6. So no need to go under the seat pan.

One thing to consider prompted by Mel's comment - if you EVER want to consider adding AoA, you might want to run an extra piece of tubing alongside the pitot line now. Because the liens run between the tank and the spar in the -6, adding one later means removing the tank - or several hours of painful finagling with a snake and borescope. Been there - done that....

Paul

Actually I just did an AOA install in an early -6. Removing the left tank, installing the additional line and reinstalling the tank took just over 2 hrs.

Before you run the pitot lines, think hard about what avionics you are going to install. The newer efis units have remote adahrs that you will probably mount towards the back. The routing those pitot line will become a pain. I spent a good amount of time making a very pretty install of the lines in front of the spar per the plans. Now that I am almost done with the plane, all those lines will be removed and befome scrap. I am going to pull new plastic lines behind the spar and under the seats to reach the adahrs.

Thanks WoW. Interesting advice. I feel like I'm so many dog-years away from installing avionics that it might be something I should just deal with later. I'll give it some thought.
John

I suggest you route the dot type airbrake lines behind the spar during wing assembly. It is much easier to do now than later. It is unlikely you will end up with steam gauges when the time comes, efis have become too cheap really consider round gauges.

Back