What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT between seats?

MTBengel

Is there any reason not to mount the ELT between the seats? Seems to be plenty of room and it would pose no issues with W/B there. It's low and out of the way but still gives easy access to switch so no remote required. Might cover switch with velcro strap to avoid accidental activation. Suspect it would be a moot point if it didn't survive a crash in that location. Seems like a no-brainer but I haven't seen any in that location so I suspect I am missing something obvious(???).

Whole Bunch of Reasons

Belt buckles will constantly be clomping down on it.

Wiring/coax is exposed to damage.

The upholstery will be chewed up by the retaining tray and latches.

Keep "things" out of people volume.

That location is mighty handy for banana peels, candy wrappers, water, etc.

You WILL be on you back under the panel enough that having that unyielding block in your spine will get old.

You've complicated access with something not involved with the need to remove the seat pans. Not good maintenance practice.

You can always activate the ELT quickly, no matter how remotely installed, by pushing the red button on the panel-mounted control head.

I suppose one good thing is it's easy to carry away if you can extricate yourself from the cartwheeling, burning wreckage.:eek:

John Siebold

It's low and out of the way but still gives easy access to switch so no remote required.

The remote panel is not an optional part. It is part of the TSO for the ELT so must be installed to have an approved installation.
Regardless, I agree it is not a good location.

Thx guys... think I will wait until after weight and balance and locate according. Might end up useful towards the tail if I end up nose heavy.

I think if you search the VAF archives for ELT, you will find a reference to the FAR's concerning location and installation. The part you are searching for is that the ELT must be located as far aft as possible to minimize damage in a crash sequence. Dan

the FAR's are correct...

yes, the tail usually survives the crash better than the cabin. Go figure.
but if the cabin is destroyed, all they are finding are the bodies.
A lot of folks have the ELT in the cabin or baggage area for ease of inspection and operation...and there is some pretty substantial structure in there.
for what it's worth, mine is bolted to the floor behind the pilots seat. Many are in the baggage area on the side wall.
I think between the seats would work if protected by a console type structure, but you would be removing it at annual to get at the floor pans, but hey, you're inspecting or testing it anyway, right? :rolleyes:

Thx guys... think I will wait until after weight and balance and locate according. Might end up useful towards the tail if I end up nose heavy.

Mark,

As it happens I just installed my ELT today. I used van's ELT bracket and it is pretty simple/easy.

I think there were some specific requirements for the rigidity of the mounting surface, so if you go with a non-standard location keep that in mind as well as what to do with the power and coax cables. Anyway, the ACK ELT and bracket hardware weighed in less than 2 lbs.

Good luck

Elt location

I mounted mine on the turtle deck under the vertical stabilizer. It fits nicely there and I installed the antennae about a foot forward of the tail making it easy to connect. Power leads run forward and the remote I located in pilot side armrest recessed. The manufacturer recommend as far aft as possible. The piper that I own also has it way back in fuselage near the tail..

I mounted mine on the back rest bar, in the middle, ran the wire down where the flap motor is mounted. It is exposed to the sky and is out of the way. I find it working out good.

There are other great suggestion too.

Dave
RV7A N1243A

Back