What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Searchable plans

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Now that Vans has put the plans on CD, has anyone had any luck applying OCR software so that they can be searched?

I am trying to find any/all references to F-863-1, and have had no luck so far.

I agree with Delta Romeo that if any of us succeeds, we shouldn't share the plans, to avoid revision issues, but if somebody does it successfully, I would love to know what software they used to do it.

I have tried 3 packages so far, with different levels of success. While some of them get the text right, it doesn't keep it intact. So a reference to an AN470, might be recognized as AN a 4, and a 70, but not in one word.

I can run Mac or Windows software, but prefer Mac. I'm hoping somebody has hit the magic combination, and might share how.

Nailed it!!!

I found a piece of software for the Mac call PDFpen.
They have a free demo version, and it costs $59.

Open the plans, Hold Command and Option keys together, and click the Edit menu, and chose OCR Document. I took about 5 minutes on my machine.

One pass and it scans it all. Now I now why I couldn't find the part. It is the wing attach bracket. Pages 35, 5 references on Page 42, and two on Page 44 (those are PDF page numbers, not Plan numbers).

I'm in hog heaven!

***Disclaimer*** I swear I'm not affiliated with PDFpen, I just stumbled on the right software right after my first post.

I have searched the instruction booklet in Adobe. I have windows 7. Haven't tried searching the plans.... I will say this, that was the best 10 bucks I ever spent! I have been through the plans enough I can find anything quick, just have to blow it up when I get there. I have all but quit using my paper plans.

I haven't tried it on the plans on the CD, but I've had good luck with Adobe Acrobat Professional (I have version 8), but I don't know the cost as I get it through work. I will say that having searchable plans was quite a nice thing during the build (I scanned the sheets and then ran them through Acrobat's OCR, and it worked great).

I made a spreadsheet of the parts list and included columns with which drawing the parts are on. It's been useful.

Dave

Chuck:

I just went and checked mine. The Drawing pages are images but can be converted with OCR to be searchable.

You may have found something that can convert them for you. I have Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Using Acrobat X Pro on my MBP I did the conversion and was able to Search or Find text plus part numbers.

Sounds like you used one of the search engines to find a product that will do the same thing. Before getting Acrobat Pro, I did the search and found several products out there that can do what you want. At the time I needed the capabilities, Adobe Acrobat X Pro was the best fit for my needs.

I also used Adobe Acrobat X Pro. It works fine. I also made scans of my part lists an hardware bag lists for my RV-3 kit so I can find the part very quickly in one of the boxes.

Peter

Perhaps I'm the one guy who "didn't get the memo," but I was not aware that plans were available on CD. Is that just for the newer models or is there a CD for my RV-7?

Perhaps I'm the one guy who "didn't get the memo," but I was not aware that plans were available on CD. Is that just for the newer models or is there a CD for my RV-7?
It was announced a few months ago. $10 for the plans on CD for, I believe, any model. I bought the CD for my RV-7 and it's SO nice to have it! I can zoom in on plans pages when I'm not in the workshop, and the builder manual is newer than what I have printed.

Dale-
Thanks! I just ordered the CD. I can't tell you how often I've wished I had an electronic version. Don't know how I missed that.

Copy the files and paste them to your computer. Searching and scrolling will work much faster with the files on your computer. Then put the CD away in a safe place.

Back