What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator bracket for 2.25? lug?

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I?m using a Denso automotive alternator as my primary and it has a 2.25? main mounting lug (I believe this is the ?large? Denso frame?). Anyone know what the right mounting bracket is for this? Or am I in ?fabricate your own? territory?

Engine is a wide-deck O-360.

can't really help, but can advise that there is some variation out there. I made custom brackets (used the stock commonly available U bracket that bolts to case). I made a copy for a buddy installing the same denso alt on a wide deck and they wouldn't fit.

Also, that U bracket has 7/16 holes and the denso alt has 3/8. I used bronze spacers/inserts to tighten it up.

Larry

Last edited:
A bracket would be hard to bend up from one piece of flat stock and get the dimensions right. I have made them from two pieces of 1/4" mild steel angle. Drill them for the long mount bolt then cut the other legs of the angle to get the correct length and weld them together.

A bracket would be hard to bend up from one piece of flat stock and get the dimensions right. I have made them from two pieces of 1/4" mild steel angle. Drill them for the long mount bolt then cut the other legs of the angle to get the correct length and weld them together.

I like that idea and I have the equipment... I'll just need to make a few test pieces to get my welding up to snuff! I'd imagine I could get a few out of just a foot or two of angle.

I'm wondering the same thing with my non-standard alt. Figured I could bend one myself with some heat. Not sure how I feel about welding two angles together given the environment and importance of this thing.

I'm wondering the same thing with my non-standard alt. Figured I could bend one myself with some heat. Not sure how I feel about welding two angles together given the environment and importance of this thing.

I fabricated and welded the alternator bracket out of steel I had in the scrap bin for my RV-10.

Back