What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Test Flight Time 25 vs 40 Hour

Frankster13

How do I provide documentation to have my test flight time reduced? How do I find the type certificate for engine and prop? I assume there is a document that makes this easy. I am preparing for my DAR inspection. I have an RV-14A with the O-390 and hartzel prop, standard stuff.

Last edited:
I believe if you have an engine/prop combination that is on a certified aircraft then you are eligible for 25 hours. Its going to come down to whatever your DAR is comfortable with and what documents he wants to see.

What engine and prop do you have? The TC's should be documented in the respective logbooks. The TC is also listed on the data plate.

You’ll need to search for the FAA TCDS for the EXACT engine and prop model numbers (with all the prefixes and suffixes) and then determine if they have been certified as a combination or not. My guess is that if they are just the “normal” configuration that Van’s sells, then it is experimental and you’ll have no way to justify 25 hours. The rules are very specific, and DAR’s don't have discretion to break or bend them.

The engine on our little jet is actually certified in Europe, and my FAA Inspector really wanted to get me a 25 hour Phase 1 - but alas, the paperwork was never done to copy the certification to the U.S., so we coulnd’t do it.

The truth is, a thorough flight test program will take more than 25 hours - closer to 40 - anyway.

Paul

Last edited:
Like Paul said, not a heck of a difference between the 25 vs. 40 hour Phase I. More importantly is getting the DAR to allow a liberal flight test area that will allow you to fly the machine in real world conditions, not boring holes in a 25nm radius.

I have the "stock" Van's engine and prop, Lycoming YIO-360-M1B and Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/7497, and got 25 hours, no problemo.

I have the "stock" Van's engine and prop, Lycoming YIO-360-M1B and Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/7497, and got 25 hours, no problemo.

Your Operating Limitations were issued improperly. The YIO-360-M1B is an "Experimental" engine.

Is the IO-390 used on any certified aircraft?

If so, then is it used with the exact same prop as you have in your RV?

If you can answer "Yes" to both of those questions, then you have a chance your inspector will assign you a 25 hour test period.

Van's, all of them, are experimental (with the exception of the factory built RV-12's) and having "the IO-390 and Hartzell prop. normal,normal" doesn't cut it because your "normal" is still experimental.

The idea is if you took an engine and prop from a certified aircraft, say you had built an RV-7 and used an engine and prop from a Mooney, then you would probably get the 25 hour test period. However, since there is not an aircraft certified in a non-Experimental category with your engine and prop combination, you are unlikely to get 25 hours.

Besides, 40 hours gives you a lot of time to complete your required tests and get used to the aircraft prior carrying passengers (other than required for a test flight).

Besides, 40 hours gives you a lot of time to complete your required tests and get used to the aircraft prior carrying passengers (other than required for a test flight).

I agree, the extra 15 hours passes pretty quick and I simply use the time to work out bugs and fine tune the performance of the airplane. Oh, and enjoy flying...

Having just finished my 40 hours and also a child who is now almost 20 years old, living away from home and in college. They are very similar. During the time you are raising them it seems to take forever, once the time passes you wonder how it happened so fast.

Maybe it was just me but I used up a good majority of my 40 hour Phase 1 doing my flight testing and running out the check lists for flight testing. IIRC I was right around 37 hours when everything was complete.

Frankly regardless of engine and prop combo..... electronic ignition, aftermarket fuel injection, high flow headers, ram air box... nothing is "certified" around it. What is 15 hours more of flight test before you take passenger and fly around the country. It takes almost 40 hours to do a proper Phase I and document performance and flight envelope.

Back