What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun '19 - Potential New Builder Looking for a Demo Flight

Hello! New to the forum, and new to the idea of building an RV! I've been doing a lot of research on kit builds and I've mostly settled on the RV-10 for a few reasons:

1. 4-seater. I want to share flying with friends, family, etc.
2. I am on the larger size (6'3" 250 lbs, broad shoulders) and I've heard the extra width is significant.
3. I want the ability to take longer XC trips with 3+ people and baggage.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who has an RV-10 and will be at Sun-n-Fun would be willing to give a demo flight to a noob builder. Happy to pay for fuel, and I'd even be willing to throw in a sammich or two. ;)

Thanks!
Eric

Thread Creep?

Eric,

We are VERY SLOW building a 10 in Mobile. Not much to show at this point, but give me a call. My area code is that for Lower Alabama 455 eight eight eight eight.

I hope to run into to you here, or at Sun-n-Fun!

Cheers,
Mike

I do believes a serious buyer can get a demo flight from Van's at Sun & Fun. Contact them now and inquire. With that said I expect the flight to be a short one . If you are really serious I would try and make contact with someone that has one and not a Sun & Fun as it's way too busy there to get a good experience but that is only my opinion. You will love the 10.

Contact Vic Syracuse, he is the vans SE rep, has a 10 based in Atlanta, google baseleg aviation. Good guy, very knowledgeable on the 10.

Yeah give Vic a shout. We will be at Sun-n-Fun with a couple airplanes, and he may be taking the RV-10 but he could best confirm that for you.

See you there!

All depends if they have a -10 at Sun N Fun and if it's in the static display or not. As others suggested give Vans or Vic a call to see what may be possible. I know I was trying to do the same back in 2016 and Mitch suggested that a demo flight at Sun N Fun may not be the best idea and that doing a demo after would be better (able to spend more time talking and doing a demo).

Best of luck and hopefully you can get a ride. I'll admit that I never did get my demo ride and never flew in a -10 until I was almost done with my tailcone!

I'm not far away from Lakeland in Tampa (KVDF) and while I'm not planning to fly into Sun-n-Fun at the moment, if you're willing to make a short detour I can possibly hook you up.

Not much to add other than to echo what the others have said.
Contact Vic and see about setting something up outside of SnF.
You'll have a much better experience.

I did my demo flight in the -10 with Mitch a few years ago when he was still in MD.
He was able to spend a bunch of time before and after answering questions and general
building concerns etc.. It was very personalized to us (and another couple who showed up after our flight who were interested in the -14 he was still building at the time).

Edit: Or take up the other offers from fellow builders. :)

All,

Thanks for the replies. My apologies for not responding sooner; I thought the forum would email me about replies to this thread automatically.

I did contact both Vans and Vic. Vans doesn?t do demo flights at Sun n Fun anymore, but Vic did say we could set something up in mid-March, so I?ll likely be heading up there soon! Thanks again, everyone!

Sounds good, I am sure you will be amazed at the performance of the -10. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back