What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hypothetical new RV-10 Door Lock Product Question

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
Fellow RV-10 owners/builders.

I have a question for you. If, hypothetically of course, a new locking RV-10 door handle were to come out in a few months, what color do you think would be a good option that would work on the majority of aircraft out there.

Option 1 - A nice safety red color that is standard on some aircraft to designate a door handle as an emergency entrance. This safety red color would be similar to the RV-12 canopy lock we just released.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-12.html

Option 2- A dark charcoal type grey color. This would be a more neutral color. Silkscreen labeling on it would likely be Red to give a nice contrast.

Option 3 - A light grey color with black silkscreening

Option 4 - A silver color that mimics the natural aluminum color. Silkscreen labeling would be black.

Right now we are leaning toward either the red, or going with a darker grey.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I vote for a darker grey color with a red silkscreen. I personally don't see a lot of need to have a Rescue Here type item on a GA airplane. My personal opinion though. Can't wait to see the product!

I like the silver or natural aluminum color. It pretty much works with everything.

-Marc

Is this an exterior handle only or with matching interior sold as a set? I personally would prefer the more natural aluminum color finish with red silkscreen lettering.

Thanks for the feedback.

This will be an exterior handle only. We wanted to design something that utilizes the existing handle on the inside and through the door. There will be an integral locking mechanism on it. The entire installation of the new handle with lock will
Be less than an hour for both sides of the aircraft. It will also be compatible with the plane around latch. Lastly, it will require no cutting into the door or exterior paint of the aircraft.

We will release more details in a few weeks as well as anticipated initial shipment dates.

We have been working on this for awhile but have been keeping it under wraps.

The prototype unit is on our aircraft at the moment.

Thx again
Steve

I vote for the safety red! And by the way, when, hypothetically, will the locking RV-8 canopy latch handle be available? :D

I vote for the safety red! And by the way, when, hypothetically, will the locking RV-8 canopy latch handle be available? :D

Another vote for the red!!!! I kind of am partial to the looks of red myself. However, I want input because we will likely not be able to offer multiple colors due to logistics of powder coat and silk screening and inventory. There is a chance of possibly doing two different versions, but beyond that would be complex.

The hypothetical RV-8 canopy latch handle is not currently even in the early cad phase yet. Not that it is not something intriguing to me. However, we are going through one project at a time!!!!

Thanks,
Steve

Red and Green

Why not have a red color on the handle's upside when in "open" mode, and green color on the upside when in "closed" mode? It adds to the safety of the system to help ensure that the door is closed and secure before takeoff.

I did this on mine, and like that in a glance I know the doors are closed. I also have Van's lights installed, but like the redundancy of the system.

Why not have a red color on the handle's upside when in "open" mode, and green color on the upside when in "closed" mode? It adds to the safety of the system to help ensure that the door is closed and secure before takeoff.

Unless you're color blind...

regards

-Marc

polished aluminum

putting these together very soon, really like the hypothetical idea of a locking door handle. Like polished aluminum look and an option to powder coat. Will that be possible with the design to take the temps necessary to pull of powder coating on visible parts? This way I think all can be happy then, well, but they won't be anyway.:)
Cheers, Mike

As an update to this thread, we just announced the release of our RV-10 Door Locking System in another thread.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Have a great holiday weekend and happy building.
Steve

Back