What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting a look at a 10 near Chicago

russe

I'm a 182 pilot near Chicago thinking of moving towards a RV-10.

Thing is, I'm on the tall side and would like to get a close up look at one before taking the next step. Anyone in the area have a -10 I could see sometime?

Thanks in advance,
Russ

Russ,
I'm building a -10 in Naperville, close to finishing with a complete interior. You're welcome to stop by and try it on for size.

RV10 roominess

I moved to a 10 from a 182 after 20yrs of ownership and the 10 has as much if not more head & leg room. I am 6'1"" & 210lbs.
Just a data point.

Keith

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips, gents.

It would be great to get a peek at your -10 sometime, Paddy. I live in the western burbs myself so a drive out to Naperville is easily done.

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks for your hospitality

Paddy

Thanks for showing me your -10! It's going to be an incredible plane when it's done...

I learned a lot as well. I have less than an inch of clearance from the roof, and I have to decide how much of a problem that is...

Russ

I have a buddy who flew with me numerous times in both the front and rear seats of my RV-10, he is 6' 6' and 280 lbs and he had now issues what so ever. He has now built his own RV-10 and is about to do his first flight in the next couple of weeks, so I guess he loved it.

Ray
N519RV (1300 on the Hobbs)

Can you vary the seat height by installing thinner cushions during the build?

This is not recommended. Because you sit over the spar, there is limited crush space in the event of a vertical impact, and the cushions, furnished with the kit, are designed for impact energy absorption.

The seat goes down as it goes back. You can build the rudder pedals in two different positions, fore or aft. So you can place the rudder pedals where the seat is as far aft as possible for your body build. That will maximize headroom.
You can also recline the seat back.

Demo flight was great

I fit in the 10 quite well, and I'm 6'5 with a long torso. Back seats were way bigger than I expected. Wow.

I was also very impressed with the flying qualities of the 10. And landing it wasn't too tough either...

Now the problem is figuring out who I can call near Chicago to do the pre buy inspection. I'd like to use the same shop for ongoing maintenance and condition inspections.

Can anyone recommend a maintenance shop near Chicago with Vans experience?

Thanks

"Near Chicago" will take on a larger radius with a new 10. I don't have a recommendation, but might specify a distance.

Back