What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon heated pitot/AOA

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,

Would like thoughts on using a "Dynon Heated Pitot/AOA" with the Garmin G3Touch EFIS instead of the Garmin pitot. The shape on the Dynon and the Garmin pitot nose appear to be different. Will this be a problem? Is the AOA on the Garmin EFIS units a programable feature? If so we might be able to make adjustments.
I purchased the Dynon unit when we were going to be all Dynon, but have shifted to all Garmin. Not the end of the world if I have to purchase the Garmin unit, and sell the Dynon to someone in need.....

While I believe the Garmin Pitot is a nicer unit in terms of the electronics interface, I am using the heated Dynon with AOA with the G3X, and it cal's just fine for airspeed and AOA. I have had no issues with the Dynon.

They did replace my unit under a recall, so be sure you have the latest unit. They were having water drainage issues leading to icing both in the air and on the ground.

Thanks Bill,
That is good news..Glad you tried it. Steinair is building my panel and although they have not tried it, they felt it was worth trying.

Glad I put it out on this site

Dynon Recall

Thanks again Bill,
My pitot was also recalled. Dynon said that any pitot with a serial number less that 6000 is recalled. Mine is on the way back to me. They were very accommodating

Thanks again Bill,
My pitot was also recalled. Dynon said that any pitot with a serial number less that 6000 is recalled. Mine is on the way back to me. They were very accommodating

I also have a Dynon heated pitot connected to a D10A and 2-Garmin 3Gxs, where can I look to see the serial number to determine if my pitot is due for recall?

Thanx,

Victor

Thanx for the info... Turns out that since my heated probe was purchased before 10/2014 it is affected by the bulletin. No need to inspect for the serial number.

I just recently had my A&P do the annual condition inspection on my RV, and since I was not aware of the probe replacement, and I'm not the builder, I will probably wait until next Fall's condition inspection to have my mechanic replace the probe. According to Dynon, there is no expiration on this probe replacement bulletin.

Victor

Back