What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin door: repair or replace?

rotoiti

Well Known Member
A hinge failed and I ripped out the cabin door of my -10 (it's a long story that I will share at some later time).

The question is, do I repair or replace the whole door?

Here is a photo of the damage:
door.jpg

The rectangular area is where the other (good) hinge used to be.

Window is cracked a bit so I need to replace the glass. Otherwise, everything is in working order, no other damage.

Miro---------OUCH, that hurt:eek:

Front hinge or rear?? Seems like the rear hinge would take more load from the lift strut-------and therefore would be a more critical repair job.

Have you checked carefully to make sure there is no separation extending beyond the actual damage area?

If you do decide to repair, be sure to scarf the joint well, 7/1 is typical.

Personally, if it were mine, I would build new-----and install the PlaneAround center door latch at the same time.

I think it would be a time vs $$$ issue....:)

I'm sure it's fixable, but it would be a "fiddly" job.

Been there, done that (but only the hinges snapped, no door damage).

Considering the time and effort to repair, and the chance you will end up with something that you will not want to stare at for several years, I vote replace.

Carl

"Window is cracked a bit"... if it's cracked from the whole door bending it may mean that the two door halves have separated in some places to allow it to bend. In that case you're better off just building a new one.

The original door has several layers of vacuum bagged glass. To make it as strong as the original your layup will likely be much thicker and the door will not line up properly on top. Unless you can vacuum it.

I'd probably just build a new one.

When you can please do tell us what happened. We're always learning. Thanks to Carl's story I always keep my doors closed down when I'm out of the plane.

It looks like the skin bond to the shell is flawed and was weak allowing separation then tearing of the skin. You might want to use hysol for the next door. It is what the Lancer guys use to bond their skins and structure.

It really does not look bad, but if the door halves assemble well (easily) and you are fresh with the skills to fit a new door, then do that. Gil may be right about the fiddly part, but it can be structurally repaired just fine. Just body work and pretty straight forward. Pick a resin with good properties.

Regarding to time vs. money question, since I have a day job, this means "money" is preferred. I will be buying a new door then.

Lenny, yes, the window is cracked I think due to whole door bending. I can see the separation in at least one other place I have not seen it before.

Mike, the picture is for rear hinge. I already have PlaneAround center latch on both doors. I will need to figure out a way to migrate it to the new door. Or would it be better to just order a new PlaneAround kit?

I have not advanced beyond the empennage part of the build (Llama was flying when I bought her), so building a new door will be quite an adventure for me.

Could you provide recommendations on where to buy resin with good properties? Where to buy Hysol?

Thanks!

Its an EZ repair if you are comfortable in fiberglass and that would be my first choice. I think time wise a repair would be a lot shorter than starting from scratch also.

PlaneAround kit parts

Mike, the picture is for rear hinge. I already have PlaneAround center latch on both doors. I will need to figure out a way to migrate it to the new door. Or would it be better to just order a new PlaneAround kit?

Whatever you do let me know what parts you need for the PlaneAround kit. I can sell them individually to save you money.

The picture may be deceiving but it DOES NOT look like there was a very good bond with the door half's in that area. There appears to be some shinny areas void of any flox. I have mentioned it before, but it greatly increases the strength and rigidity of the doors if you fill the cavities with expandable foam.

Last edited:
Back