VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-06-2018, 01:05 PM

Default iPad installation

soliciting opinions / solutions re the installation of iPads in the 7a cockpit. my fist attempt to veclro directly to the panel was disappointing as viewing angle seems critical to visibility, especially with sun. thanks in advance.

jeffrey r Hodgson, md
N377CP KWVI
Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Default mygoflight

Jeff, I mounted my ipad mini on a mygoflight flex arm bolted to the corner brace, passenger side of my 7. I installed a small brace where the "elbow" articulation falls to relieve some stress. (I'm working this weekend, but I will try to send you a photo of the install later this week). It keeps the ipad out of the way of the panel, and allows me to angle to avoid solar glare
Old 05-06-2018, 04:16 PM

I use a Ram mount clamped on a rail and some articulating arms. Ram has a wide variety of clamp, arm and IPad holder options. It lets me adjust it to a good viewing angle.

Scott
RV-7a @ CYBW
2018 dues paid
Old 05-06-2018, 04:53 PM

I got an iPad flexible pedestal mount from Arkon Resources via Amazon. Very happy with the way I was able to modify it for my needs. It looks like it might be the old school flexible gooseneck used on mic stands, but the plastic cover is deceiving; the core is actually a solid soft aluminum rod of substantial diameter. It can be cut and bent to shape, and it will hold its shape very well.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 05-06-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 PM

my Ipad mini 4 mounted with a short double swivel Ram Mount. It is very adjustable and I just love it. The screen is totally readable even in direct sunlight. Easily moves out of the way if need to but only do that when doing panel maintenance. Bevan

Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 05-07-2018, 05:00 AM

Default Mounted on bar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fruqtgw4ac...Panel.JPG?dl=0
Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 AM

I have an AirGizmos panel mount and it works really nice, I just canít seem to get the glare down enough.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Here's mine. I have an anti-glare screen protector and a Koger sun shade to keep the sun off. Also, you can see that one of the cabin air vents blows directly on the iPad to keep it cool.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 AM

Here is my setup with the RAM ball mount on the panel. I have a similar mount on the pilot side for my iPhone/Foreflight. The ball mount uses an existing panel screw and a 4" arm to the iPad ball.

PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 05-07-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 AM

I am using an iPad 9.7 Pro (running ForeFlight) and have it mounted similar to what Bevan shows in his post (RAM mount - ball mounted to side of F-721A). If I had to do it again - I might mount the ball to the panel similar to Raymo. In my installation the ball is in the way when removing the panel - so I have to remove the ball first - not a "big deal" - just adds a couple minutes to panel remove/install time.

I am very happy with the iPad location - and the 9.7" screen size (I'm 62). Easily seen by my old eyes and can be moved/tilted if there is a glare issue. I point the air vent on it to help keep it cool and have not yet had overheating issues with it during flight. I turn off the iPad when fueling and also throw a towel over it during fueling if the sun is shining on the screen to keep it from overheating (it will - I know).

I am also running Stratux (Open Flight Solutions version) and it works fine with ForeFlight on my Pro. (There was a glitch with ForeFlight not staying connected early last year but- but that was (promptly) fixed) I have an older iPad mounted the same way on the passenger side for my wife to use. I have the Stratux mounted on a plate I made attached to the back of the iPad RAM cradle mount - so the antenna can "see" out thru the windshield - very good reception. And I am using Anker USB power supplies. I have been very happy with them so far (about 150 hrs of use). No noise and will hold the iPad power level at the current level while the iPad is running ForeFlight (with Bluetooth OFF) and also supply power to the Stratux.
2018 VAF dues Paid