Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-29-2018, 04:02 PM

Default cowl install question

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply here
after much research on the cowl install i dove in. filtering through all the recommended measurements for simulated spacers, the inconsistency between VANs manual and the FAQ on their site i determined I'm going with 2-1/8 spacer and 1/4" spacing between cowl and flange on spinner backplate.
Today i got to it, and with the ring gear on, the spacers in and backplate mounted the cowl just makes it to 1/4" space to spinner flange. there is literally nothing to cut off the aft side. This caused me to be concerned I have already gone wrong?
has anyone found the latest cowls require no aft side trimming. im only referring to the top cowl so far I have not fit the bottom yet
im using the Hartzel 2 blade BA constant Speed.
Building RV7 #70770
90% Done 90% To Go
Vans Airforce Dues Paid

Last edited by Adam W : 04-29-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Default Cowl

Can't speak to the latest cowls but I had about 2" to cut off the back of my cowls (2008 kit) with the standard extension. I would suggest no less than 3/8" clearance from the back of the spinner to the cowl. Any less and it becomes difficult to re and re the cowl. One of the guys who has built 8 or 9 RV's leaves 1/2" for this reason. I split the difference between Vans 1/4" and his 1/2" and did 3/8" which worked out ok. I had a 4 with a 3/16" gap and it was a pain getting the bottom cowl on and off. FWIW.
Al
Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Adam,

I don't think you need/want a spacer with a Hartzell CS prop.

Which engine do you have?

Confirm you have 7 not 7A?

I have RV7A with 0-360 and Hartzell CS prop, no prop spacer. I cut a couple inches off the cowl for a 1/4" space between spinner and cowl. I don't have much trouble getting cowls on off by myself.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada

Last edited by Bevan : 04-29-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:31 PM

Adam, I had more to cut off that what you are talking about. I have a 9a with Catto and spacer, but O-320. Something doesn't sound correct. Can you post a picture or a link to one?

One thing to think about is on the horizontal cut, favor cutting more off the bottom that the top. You will have an easier time getting the cowl off. If you are a TD, then not as much problem, but still worth considering.
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 PM

it is a tail dragger, constant speed prop
imscratching my head now!
Building RV7 #70770
90% Done 90% To Go
Vans Airforce Dues Paid
Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM

Hi Adam,

By using the spacer are you fitting the cowling without your propeller installed? I did it that way on my 7, and to answer your question, I had to trim off about 1.5 to 2.0 inches. But that was a couple of years ago.

Here is how I worked through that process.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/catego...category=11167

Scroll Down to the first entry and it briefly discusses the spacers.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 AM

Adam,

I don't think you are alone in your experience. I set up my cowl with 2-1/8" temporary spacers between the starter ring and the spinner backplate, and it worked out just right for a 1/4" gap once everything was installed. I did not have a lot of excess to cut off. Looking at my construction photos before trimming the top cowl, it did not cover all the rivet holes around the firewall, so I'm guessing I trimmed less than 1/4" off the aft side of the top cowl in some areas. Just make sure with starter ring is seated properly, fit the spacers and spinner backplate, remeasure the prop to verify the spacing is correct, and go for it!
Flying
Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Just make sure with starter ring is seated properly, fit the spacers and spinner backplate, remeasure the prop to verify the spacing is correct, and go for it!
And make sure the spinner bulkhead is flat on its face (check with a straight edge).

The forming process often leaves a dished shape in the center of the bulkhead which can position the perimeter flange further fwd than nominal.

The RV-14 spinner installation plans (AVAILABLE HERE) are a bit more comprehensive than for the other other kits. Page 44-02 describes checking the aft bulkhead for flatness and gives a nominal dimension between the ring gear and the aft edge of the rear bulkhead flange, that you can use for reference.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM

thank you this has been reassuring and helpful

can anyone comment on the amount they lowered the top cowl to compensate for engine sag?
Building RV7 #70770
90% Done 90% To Go
Vans Airforce Dues Paid
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Default drilling top hinges

Somewhat related, when drilling the top hinges to the cowl, is it best to hold the ‘slack’ out of the hinge due to the .090 pin‘s sloppy fit, or let it ride in the ‘middle’ of the hinge eyes where it wants to?

Seems like the cowl would end up loose if you don’t hold the hinge separated, but that might make it hard to put on and remove.
paid 2018