Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterson View Post
A company called Turbo Specialties makes a bolt on Turbo for the Honda r18 engine.

Model: Engine R18 W/T25 Turbo
Part# HC2504E

I wanted to try it on my 2010 Civic EX, but haven't yet pulled the trigger yet. Can increase HP significantly.
Yes, they do have a kit for the Honda Civic with the R18 engine.

In fact here is a screen shot that shows the Tq/HP graph for one of their R18 turbo projects.

Here is a good article too...

https://www.turbokits.com/Honda/Civi...Turbo_Kit/274/

Here is a good article from supersstreet magazine....

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...onda-civic-ex/

Probably the one company that has the most info products to Turbo the Honda R18 engine is fullrace.com

https://www.full-race.com/articles/c...turbo-kit-faq/

Here is a screen shot from the fullrace info page that does a great job of explaining why it makes sense to turbo a Honda R18 engine.

Also on a side note it is worth noting that when you see negative comments about the R18 it is almost always traced back to the fact that the civic transmission and clutch do not hold up well with boost past 7lbs....but rarely have I ever read about issues with the engine....

Last edited by charosenz : 04-01-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Default New T3 Mount with custom adapter plate

Here is the new custom adapter plate I made out of 1/2" stainless. The outer bolts are Honda. The inner bolt patter is T3. Notice the lower left bolt is a "companion" bolt serves to hold the adapter plate and the T3 at the same time. The other 3 T3 bolts are tapped to receive 8mm x 1.25 studs. Tapping the 1/2" stainless was fun. That is a whole topic by itself.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Default T3 installed with view behind to see adapter flange

Here you can see the flange installed that allows the T3 to mount upclose and tight to the integral Honda exhaust outlet.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Default T3 installed with new 1/3" adapter flange

Here you can see a test fit of the T3 on the new adapter flange. This is just a test fit with most of lines not installed or tightened up yet.

The routing of the T3 over to the Throttle Body is also a test fit and will be used for run-ups on the test stand but will be re-routed once installed in the plane.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM

Default New Video of T3 Turbo mounted and engine run up

Here is a link of my most recent update. I created a new exhaust flange adapter that reduces the offset of the turbo. This new adapter is simply a piece of 1/2" stainless steel that has both the Honda bolt pattern as well as the T3 turbo bolt pattern.

This short run up is with the T3/T4 turbo with the new flange but does not include the prop - yet. That will be next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_w1bQq5Uo

You will notice virtually no Manifold Pressure which is due to no real "load" on the engine.

Charlie
Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Default short video of i-VTEC valve movement on and off

Here is a link of the i-VTEC intake valves operating both with and without the i-VTEC spool valve activated. It happens quick so watch close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVE_4JoDytA

In the video you will see that the intake valves operate independently when the oil control valve is not energized. This is when one of the valves is using the economy profile cam lobe, and the other on the performance profile lobe. When the spool valve is turned on, the valves move in unison - this is when both valves are locked together and they are using the performance profile cam lobe.

Most have heard about the VTEC systems that Honda has used over the years. In most applications in the past the VTEC added extra performance when it "kicked in". This is not the case on the R18 and R20 engines like I am using. In this series it is actually the opposite. In this series of engines they actually go in to "economy mode" when the ECU senses low load, and otherwise it is in "performance mode".

So why go in to this much detail? You do not want this engine operating in economy mode for aviation use. How do I know? Because prior to learning this much about the system, I was advised some misinformation about the i-VTEC and I unknowingly ran it in the economy mode while under load on my test stand and I lost compression in two cylinders. While I cannot say for sure the true cause and effect because I have not done a teardown, I suspected it just ran too hot, even though I was keeping it at 13:1 A/F ratio.

The good news is that I picked up a 2015 engine with 13k on it for only $550, and was able to swap it in the test stand over the weekend.

I will post what I learn on the tear down...keeping and open mind that the cause may be unrelated but I wanted to share this so others may learn from my experiences.

Last edited by charosenz : 05-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 PM

We've had a couple customers with the Honda V6 VTEC engines in their T51s do some testing on activating the VTEC through the SDS controller. They can perceive almost no change in power/ speed at their typical 4500-5000 rpm operational flight ranges.

It will be interesting to see what you find at different rpms on your stand with the new engine.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 PM

Default inrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
We've had a couple customers with the Honda V6 VTEC engines in their T51s do some testing on activating the VTEC through the SDS controller. They can perceive almost no change in power/ speed at their typical 4500-5000 rpm operational flight ranges.

It will be interesting to see what you find at different rpms on your stand with the new engine.
Ross, Good to know thanks for sharing.

I cannot say that I am surprised to hear this. There are a lot of variables to consider. At least for the R18 and R20 series, the iVTEC was only a tool to try to get good economy.

I can put a digital scale on a tether to measure the pull of the engine on the test stand since I have my test stand on small wheels, but I am not convinced it yields real accurate data. There is a fair amount of rolling resistance with this set up.

I plan to eventually have the spool valve on a switch just to see what happens with it switched on and off and watch the tension, as well as the EGT temps and MAP. But regardless I just cannot see any value in having it use the economy mode at all in an aviation application.

Now if I could only prevent my day job from interfering with this hobby!

Charlie
Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Just a brief comment about adjusting your Warp Drive prop. The manufacturer's instructions are pretty good when it comes to telling you how to adjust it, but they could be better. I discovered this when setting the 3-blade Warp prop on my "other" airplane. These discoveries ultimately yielded much smoother operation.

Tip 1) When adjusting prop pitch, do it for all 3 blades at exactly the same rotational angle. Achieve this goal by pulling your spark plugs so you can easily turn the engine. Rotate the prop so the leading edge of Blade 1 is horizontal as measured with a 24" carpenter's level or similar (I used a digital level). Now adjust your blade pitch as necessary. Repeat for Blade 2 and Blade 3. In our case I make the adjustments with the prop blade at the 3 o'clock position, as viewed from the cockpit. Each blade is adjusted only after it has been rotated to the 3 o'clock position.

Tip 2) If using Warp's prop protractor, you will notice the bubble is narrower than the space between the two lines printed on the spirit level vial. This is a source of inaccuracy. Always set your pitch with one end of the bubble directly beneath one of the lubber lines. Doesn't matter which one - pick one and stick with it. This will remove the tiny bit of guesswork that goes on when we are trying to center the bubble between the two lines. Peg the bubble up against a line and there's no guesswork.

By following these two tips the net effect on prop blade pitch will be small, but on our aircraft it made a noticeable improvement in "buzz" coming back into the cockpit. The Warp prop protractor is a great tool. Using these two tips makes it work even better.
Thanks for this tip. The idea related to the bubble alignment wss one i had not heard. I will have to pull my spinner shortly and while I'm at it I'm going to double check my prop using the bubble to the edge technique. Thanks again this totally makes sense
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Update on project new details with video on VTEC

It has been awhile since I posted. I experience a loss of compression in #2 and #3. But I am back up and running with everything looking real good.

I suspect the loss of compression was a two fold. 1) I got some misinformation on how to know when the engine was using the "economy" cam lobe as well as my fault for running it too lean (13.0 to 13.5 A/F) under load.

Fortunately these engines are so plentiful it was a quick trip to a large auto recycler to get a 1 year old engine with only 13k miles for only $600.

I could not hardly justify the time and money for a repair at those prices.

The way to be 100% sure when both cams were using the "power" lobe cam and not the "economy" lobe was to video the intake rocker arm action with the oil pressure over 40 psi. Much to my surprise it is NOT when the oil control spool valve was off (not powered). Which is not what I had been advised.

Here is a link to the very short video I took. You have to watch real close in order to see both intake valves move independently for a 2 rotations before I power up the oil spool valve and once it is powered, you will see both intake rocker arms begin to work in unison. This is the indication they are both using the "power" lobe on the cam.

Here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVE_4JoDytA

Let me know if you have questions.

Charlie