VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Bent tabs on elevator and trim tab

I riveted the inboard bent tabs on the trim tab but I'm not sure that I need to rivet the outboard tabs. Any thoughts on this?

Also, the bent tabs on the elevator didn't go well so I ended up making a riblet. Did others that went that route opt for pop rivets?

Thanks a lot for any comments. I don't know what I'd do without this site.
Working on QB wings & fuselage
Dues paid July 2018
Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Hi Glen,

I bent the tabs on the trim tab, but made a riblet for the elevator skin as I was too concerned about botching the tab and having to get a new skin. To rivet it in place I used some MK3129-BS rivets. You just drill everything as per usual using a #40, deburr, dimple, then reassemble and open the hole up to 7/64" for the MK319-BS rivet. Having some Mk319-BS rivets on hand during the build is handy. Given that they are oversized, if you ever botch setting a 3/32" solid rivet, and have to drill it out but have opened the hole to much to set another 3/32" rivet, it's handy to set an MK319-BS rivet instead.
Good luck.
Tom.