- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Hi,

After lurking here for at least a decade, I recently purchased a flying RV-7A with a steam-gauge "4-pack" (no AI or DG) & TruTrak Vision AP. I'm planning to install a pair of G5s & a GMU-11 for now, with plans to move to a G3X panel later.

I've searched the forums, but haven't located any definitive advice on where & how to mount the GMU-11. For those of you who have done this, where did you mount it? Pictures would be a great help.

If mounting in the wing, how did you deal with mounting alignment in the yaw axis? (Pitch axis alignment seems easy.)

Thanks for any & all advice!
I just completed a GMU11 installation in two RV-8s and both calibrated successfully the first time. I bolted the GMU11 with the supplied SS bolts to a scrap piece of .063 aluminum, and then pop riveted the aluminum mounting plate over the 4" hole in the aft fuselage deck below the vertical stabilizer. It is easy to draw a centerline on the .063 mounting plate and then mount the GMU11 centered on that line. Then draw a center line on the aft fuselage deck. Simply line up the centerline on the mounting plate with the aft deck and pop rivet it in using aluminum rivets.

It helps to have a 90 degree angle drill to drill the holes in the aft deck under the vertical stabilizer.

For what it's worth: The Doll has a GMU44 mounted in the aft deck in that 4 inch hole, and has been working well there for years. The horns and tailwheel spring have no effect on the Doll's instillation. The aft deck is already level with the aircraft in flight. Access to the magnetometer only requires removing the empennage fairing. Running the wiring is easy through the fuselage. IMHO, running the wiring through a mounted wing is more problematic. Good luck with your choice.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2018

Last edited by Danny King : 04-26-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Skid accuracy question

does mounting the GMU-11 in a wing or the HS stabiliser deck make the skid response more sensitive compared to mounting it more toward the forward part of the fuse ? The reason for the question is MGL encouraged mounting the SP7 module ( my RV3) under the seat of the pilot to get the best AHRS response.
Clinton, IN
Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 AM

Here is how my Dynon AD-AHRS is mounted in my -7A. The magnetometer is built-in.

PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

Last edited by Raymo : 04-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
does mounting the GMU-11 in a wing or the HS stabiliser deck make the skid response more sensitive compared to mounting it more toward the forward part of the fuse ? The reason for the question is MGL encouraged mounting the SP7 module ( my RV3) under the seat of the pilot to get the best AHRS response.
The GMU units are magnetometer (heading info) only, the ADAHRS is mounted seperately.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
That's a really good point. My plane is already light in the front (fixed-pitch prop), and anything I can do to keep CG forward is a win.

Any particular reason for left rather than right?

Do you happen to know the Garmin part number for that mount?
My right wing has the roll servo and a wingtip VOR antenna. My left has the pitot heat. There was no problem with the pitot heat as it is fairly far from the magnetometer. Also, I have wingtip lighting (all led) and again, no effect.

In the first 125 hrs, I have seen no anomalies.
Flying, but not done, never done.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 PM

After reading this in the Garmin 3X_Touch_Install Manual (available on their website), They recommend either aft fuselage or wing location. (if that info is helpful.)

A.2 Vanís Aircraft
A.2.1 RV-7/9
The typical GMU magnetometer mounting location in RV-7/9 aircraft is in the aft fuselage, on the aft deck (F-714), just ahead of the horizontal stabilizer and just aft of the F-709 bulkhead. This location provides a level pitch and roll reference, and acceptable separation from excessive magnetic disturbances in typical RV-7/9 aircraft.
The wingtip can be used as an alternate GMU magnetometer mounting location for RV aircraft. Ensure adequate separation from steel aileron counterweights, transmitting antennas, and lighting fixtures, and
follow the wingtip light wiring guidance for in Section 14.4 or Section 15.4.

More details on installation: can be found in Chapter 14, GMU 11 Installation of the G3X Touch manual.