What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 brakes with Grove gear legs

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Builder tip - I receive Matco brake calipers with my kit. The Matco is just different enough to make fit up a real pain if you have the Grove gear legs. They can be made to fit, but you will need to trim off just a little on the housing to clear the gear leg brake line AN fitting. Only a straight fitting will work, not the more typical 45 or 90 degree AN fittings. You will also have to trim the wheel pant mounting bracket, but that needs to be done regardless if you have the stock or Grove gear.

If you can, recommend finding out if you can order/exchange the Matco for the older Cleveland calipers.

Builder tip - I receive Matco brake calipers with my kit. The Matco is just different enough to make fit up a real pain if you have the Grove gear legs. They can be made to fit, but you will need to trim off just a little on the housing to clear the gear leg brake line AN fitting. Only a straight fitting will work, not the more typical 45 or 90 degree AN fittings. You will also have to trim the wheel pant mounting bracket, but that needs to be done regardless if you have the stock or Grove gear.

If you can, recommend finding out if you can order/exchange the Matco for the older Cleveland calipers.

Or get a credit and order Grove calipers which are nearly identical to the Clevelands.

I?ve got the Matco brakes on my Grove streamlined gear. No trimming or changes required, bolts right on with zero modification. Per the plans, for the Cleveland brakes you have to remove one brake puck to install. With the Matco you get to keep brake pucks on both sides of the disk. What?s not to like about that?

Really?

Have you tried sliding out the caliper like you need to do when replacing the inboard brake pad?

Carl

Yup. Slides right off after removing two bolts. Every year I remove both calipers for the condition inspection and inspect the brake pads closely. Takes all of about 10 minutes to replace both pads once the wheel pants are off. Last year I replaced one set that was getting close to limits after 3 years. Other side was fine; I guess I wear my lead shoe on the left for some reason. Matco has a great brake pad exchange program so I always have a full set here. I remember when I got the finishing kit, the Matco brakes were there even though Cleveland?s were listed on the invoice. I?m very happy I got the Matco brakes, and no I don?t work for them.

I have Grove legs with the gun-drilled lines and eventually switched to Grove brakes/wheels for the clearance issues.

I also switched to Grove axles with the stub for wheel pants and conventional castle nuts on the axle. The adjustment of the nut doesn't effect the pant bracket spacing and easier to adjust bearing/cotter pin.

Last edited:
Here is the only solution that I found to work. For those building strongly recommend getting credit for the Matco brakes & wheels and instead getting the Grove brakes and wheels. It will save you a lot of pain.

I used standard aluminum tubing for the gear leg to caliper run, but the stock Van?s VA-119 hose will work. I prefer the aluminum tubing as it has worked fine on my previous RVs. Note the plastic tubing as a rub guard. It will be strapped to the gear leg later.

It all fits well under the wheel pant and the caliper can be removed for brake pad replacement without breaking the line.

Carl
DD097512-2-E6-A-4-C91-A09-D-E2-EA1-BF90326.jpg

81822240-2307-4-A63-88-C6-15985-C4-C396-C.jpg

Here is the only solution that I found to work. For those building strongly recommend getting credit for the Matco brakes & wheels and instead getting the Grove brakes and wheels. It will save you a lot of pain.

I used standard aluminum tubing for the gear leg to caliper run, but the stock Van?s VA-119 hose will work. I prefer the aluminum tubing as it has worked fine on my previous RVs. Note the plastic tubing as a rub guard. It will be strapped to the gear leg later.

It all fits well under the wheel pant and the caliper can be removed for brake pad replacement without breaking the line.

Carl
DD097512-2-E6-A-4-C91-A09-D-E2-EA1-BF90326.jpg

81822240-2307-4-A63-88-C6-15985-C4-C396-C.jpg

Could just be me but that looks problematic to bleed.

Here is a photo of the Clearances on my my Grove (full lightweight) leg with the Van's supplied Matco, then Grove calipers.

I found that there is some variation in the fore/aft placement of the gundrilled line, hence one of the legs had more issues with the AN4 fitting clearance (never tried AN3s). My goals included being able to use a travel jack I acquired. At the moment the jack still will not work, however, a little time at at a welding shop should sort that. I added Avengerboss jack points also.

AF1QipPh3PCOWSj6lB9EDcSskNrggBz_puIgBBA3e5Fh

Last edited:
Back