What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair fuel pump&filter combo

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have the Andair combo pump and filter (375-MK) in my RV9A -( IO-320 )and was thinking about moving the fuel filter off the combo plate and putting in Andair gascolators at the ring root. It’s just something about having to disconnect the AN fitting and clean the filter on the cockpit floor. Pump works perfectly and haven’t found any debris in the filter previously. Your thoughts much appreciated.
Ron in Oregon

Hello Ron

I have such a setup in my RV-7A. A gascolator in each wingroot. I pluged the bottom hole of the bole. The deepest point in the system is the tank drain, so if I'm finding water in there, I will flush all anyway. I'm using the gascolator as a "maintainable filter" with good access and if messy, it is outside of the plane.

There are several plane here in Switzerland that have the same setup and also in VAF, this is mentioned many times.

Check out the homepage from andair, there they show such a system. You can also order the gascolator "mirrored", so the gascolator is easier to mount. Just choose the flow direction in the shop. You can order this only direct at Andair.

fuel-system-a.png

Andy from Andair has this setup also on his RV.

I see you are using an IO which doesn't need a gasculator, I use the same set up pictured by Swiss Eagle but with two filters in the wing root.

I see you are using an IO which doesn't need a gasculator, I use the same set up pictured by Swiss Eagle but with two filters in the wing root.

Might you share a photo of where in the root you installed the two filters? I currently have just one filter adjacent to the pump and it is difficult removing it to clean. Perhaps removing it in the wing root would be easier.

thanks

Thanks guys, Ian you mentioned that with my fuel injection I didn’t need a Gasculator. What’s the difference between the two, (fuel filter,& gasculator). Steve exactly my thoughts too. Dominik is yours fuel injected engine? Thanks guys.

Glynn, sorry lm not sure how to post a picture but I have flop tubes and the fuel line runs through the hole in the front tank attach point and the filters are located immediately behind this.

Servicing is outside of the cockpit and only needs the removal of the lower wing to fuselage fairing screws so no fuel spillage inside, but does need you to service when the tanks have been run low then drained. This can be planned for when approaching the annual inspection.

A gasculator is designed to collect water before it enters the carb float bowl which doesn't exist in a fuel injection system therefore a gascolator isn't needed.

Back