What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco nose wheel bearing pre-load

Plummit

Well Known Member
After a flat nose tire Saturday I tried to adjust the bearing pre-load but the instructions weren't very clear. Any tips/tricks?

thanks

~Marc

preload

I just installed my nose wheel. I am using the Matco wheel and axle. The instructions say to tighten the axle nut until the bearing seals do not rotate, i.e. they do not move with the rotation of the wheel. They stay stationary with the axle...

Call Matco (George?), you can take a fish scale with a rope wrapped around the tire to precisely set the rotating torque to specs.

But, curious, why not just tighten it back to the cotter pin location?

Bearing preload and nose fork caster load are two entirely different things.

Ahhhh, so the 10 does not have a cotter pin in the front axle? If so , disregard cotter pin comment, but the fish scale and rope still applies.

Last edited:
I just installed my nose wheel. I am using the Matco wheel and axle. The instructions say to tighten the axle nut until the bearing seals do not rotate, i.e. they do not move with the rotation of the wheel. They stay stationary with the axle...

Yes this is what I read too, but when I turned the wheel (held in my hand) it appears the seals rotate with the wheel. To tighten it further would require some tools, like channel locks. There is no hex nut to tighten.

-Marc

I called Matco this morning and they told me that the pre-load can easily be set by hand, and if you give the wheel a good "heft", it should only rotate 1½ to 2 turns max. The seals should not rotate with the wheel I'll check it again tomorrow as we are starting my annual.

regards

~Marc

Back