What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim Servo Installation

cderk

Well Known Member
Hey All -
I'm trying to get my elevator trim servo mounted this morning. On page 11-9, Step 3, its calling for a clevis pin to attach the servo link to the servo. It also calls for two AN960-4L washers on either side of the pin. For the life of me, I cannot find these. I looked in the inventory list and don't see it on there either. Am I missing something - or do I need to go get a 3rd cup of coffee?

Thanks
Charlie

You might look in your AN960-4 inventory. Perhaps you just tossed them in there ? AN960-_L washers are about 1/2 the thickness of the standard washers.

I guess that is the problem... I don't see the AN960-4L anywhere on the inventory list. I see an AN960-416L - but i've used those up on other components.

Thanks for the quick reply

Were they in the little bag of parts that came with the servo? It's been several months since I was at that step and my memory ain't what it used to be (FAA, please ignore that last comment.)

I just checked my servo and the washers are there.

Thanks Eric - there are... BUT, looking at the servo installation instructions it appears that they are for something else. Well, i guess i can use them for now - and order some more. I've also sent an email to tech support to see what they say. Maybe it doesn't get installed with all the parts included in the kit?

Thanks again,
charlie

You're probably going to want to order more AN3 & AN4 bolts, washers and nuts for spares (get a lot of nuts so you're not tempted to re-use as you attach and de-attach things.) I did and am glad that I did. Just toss the washers in on an ACS order.

I don't recall anything odd about that portion of the build other than having to look around for cotter pins, clevis pins, etc. But I eventually came across everything.

Good luck!!

I figured it out... in the servo kit, there are a bunch of extra pieces that are not required for installation. So the 4 washers in there, I was able to use.

Yep - I did the same thing. I ordered a bunch of extra bolts and nuts.

Thanks again

Just make sure you get the actuator arm the right way up. The whole assembly gets mounted upside down so it can be confusing. Get it wrong and you will spend hours trying to figure out why you can't get the right throws on the trims.

Ask me how I know........

Keep a stock of small parts

A real time saver: get a couple of those 48+ drawer bolt cabinets, and order packs of 100 of all the small washers and lock nuts. Then go down the list and order 5-25+ of all the AN3-A bolts up to a reasonable size. When you inventory your kits, toss the bolts in the proper drawers. It took me a couple of years of building to figure this one out (slow learner🙁) Time saved is huge.

And sometimes, the bolt that's called out is the wrong length. Real quick to grab one on the next drawer over.

A real time saver: get a couple of those 48+ drawer bolt cabinets, and order packs of 100 of all the small washers and lock nuts. Then go down the list and order 5-25+ of all the AN3-A bolts up to a reasonable size. When you inventory your kits, toss the bolts in the proper drawers. It took me a couple of years of building to figure this one out (slow learner🙁) Time saved is huge.

And sometimes, the bolt that's called out is the wrong length. Real quick to grab one on the next drawer over.

I couldn't agree more. The money you spend is going to be significantly less expensive than the freight you'll pay ordering one offs during the build, or the down time to get that one missed placed part ordered.

Back