What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control surface stops

Plummit

Well Known Member
We are doing the first annual on the plane we purchased 1 year ago. In doing the spar inspection it seems that the ailerons are moving too far and causing contact between the pushrod and a rivet on one, and at the rod end on the other. This is way beyond any movement that would be experienced in flight, but we feel it shouldn't happen at all.

How is the travel limited on the ailerons and elevator?

thanks

-Marc

There are control stops that should be riveted onto the aileron brackets. Please take a look at the plans if you have them or contact me and I will send you a drawing/picture.
The elevator control horn hits the crossmembers at the tail/empennage as control stops.

Vic

Thanks Vic. What section of the plans? I have the plan set but not the builder's manual.

My mechanic thinks the stops are a hex bolt that is installed all the way in and it should be backed out to control the max deflection down. Does that sound right?

regards

-Marc

Look at Section 15 of the wing assembly. They have you cut the stop brackets off of two of the tabs. I remember this because originally I cut them off all 4 brackets and had to order new ones. The bracket is the W-1013.

Lynn

Lynn is correct. They are part of the bracket now, so make sure they weren't inadvertently cut off. Sent you a picture.

Vic

Thanks Lynn and Vic. I didn't build this plane so I will have to check. BTW, this is an 09 kit. Did they change the stops? Unfortunately I left my plans at the hangar last night, so I'll have to run by there to check.

regards

~Marc

Back