What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door hinge mod

Nice job...and an excellent video showing and telling what and how you modified the hinge.

Thanks for the extra effort in sharing your progress with us. :D

Nice Job Ed!

I like that your mod creates a flush surface on the outside. However, I can't help but wonder why you'd want to remove the door. When it's open all the way, isn't the hole pretty much as big as it gets? Why would you need/want to remove it?

I like that your mod creates a flush surface on the outside. However, I can't help but wonder why you'd want to remove the door. When it's open all the way, isn't the hole pretty much as big as it gets? Why would you need/want to remove it?

Really, the door being removable is just a nice feature. It gives me options. The real reason I did this was make the door easily INSTALLABLE while still having the hinge closer to flush with the fuse skin. The plans have you slide the pin in from the outside after everything is riveted together.

Great idea!

Ed, you did a great job. I'm just wondering why Vans didn't borrow the design from Cessna or other planes where you have no hinge on the outside skin and the door sits flush.. :confused:

I used the two pin method. This is how many installed their flaps on RV4/RV6. Basically you remove two "eyes" from one hinge half and one "eye" from the other side. This is done in the middle of the hinge and allows the insertion of the two short hinge pins

Build flight controls as per plans. Especially the trim tab and hinge line. The trim tab hinge is very easy to remove as is.

Ed, I just copied this idea last night and applied it, nice and simple. I liked it since it keeps the pin from sliding as well. I was looking at another 10 where the pin had slid all the way down and scraping some paint.

Lynn

Back