What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM IC-A200 Question

jamescone

Well Known Member
Has anyone used the intercom function of the ICOM IC-A200 radio? How does it work? Is it VOX or hot mike? Do you like it? Any advice?

I had one in my Tri-Pacer. Great radio but the intercom is a hot mike setup. I didn't like it.

PS1000II due next week,
Steve

Intercom in name only

jamescone said:
Has anyone used the intercom function of the ICOM IC-A200 radio? How does it work? Is it VOX or hot mike? Do you like it? Any advice?
Yep the intercom is almost in name only. Yes it is an open mic (two). I guess in a bare bones open cockpit, you could activate with a button for a step up from yelling, but even a cheap VOX intercom is going to be better. Also the ICOM needs some extra wiring and a switch to go between TX and Intercom, not both at the same time.

ICOM intercom

Hi Jim,

I have wired up my last two aircraft using the built-in intercom function of the ICOM A-200. It works fine. I used two PTT micro-switches, plus a toggle switch between transmit and intercom functions on my first aircraft, and on the RV I added another toggle to switch between hot mike and cold mike, mainly so if I flew with a passenger that talked a lot or couldn't use the PTT intercom switch, I could set it so they could talk freely.
The wiring was challenging , at least for me, and my next aircraft will have a separate intercom unit for that reason.

Cheers

Martin in Oz

Low transmit

I have the A200, but am having intermittant low transmit.
I'm using the Flightcom 403 intercom.
All connections tight.
The interupt works and I can see the TX transmit indicator on the A200 display, but it must be low. I do a radio check on runup and get a "loud and clear". My range may be short. I did have problems at a flyin a few weeks ago in Lakeland where ground could hear me but tower could not.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Installation assistance?

I have wired up my last two aircraft using the built-in intercom function of the ICOM A-200. It works fine. I used two PTT micro-switches, plus a toggle switch between transmit and intercom functions on my first aircraft, and on the RV I added another toggle to switch between hot mike and cold mike, mainly so if I flew with a passenger that talked a lot or couldn't use the PTT intercom switch, I could set it so they could talk freely.
The wiring was challenging , at least for me, and my next aircraft will have a separate intercom unit for that reason.
Hi Martin,

Would it be at all possible for you to provide some installation details for we 'electronically challenged' folks? I have ordered the Icom A200 and had planned on utilizing its built-in intercom circuitry, but from what I'm reading, it appears the best option may be an add-on intercom interfaced to it.

Thanks very much,
Ed in Columbus, OH

Jim,

As the others have said, you can wire it with a PPT for the intercom function and a second PPT for the radio. IMHO, the intercom feature would work great in a open cockpit where you need the PPT for the intercom.

I wired mine in with a Sigtronics intercom, which works good.

The big advantage of using the iCom is that it has three mono inputs for warning tones. That feature is how I wired my Dynons into my audio system. The radio then feeds the intercom.

So far, I'm very happy with the set up.

Here is a schematic.

Back