What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

20" Wheel Folding bike in an RV6

I have been unsuccessful searching past threads about folding bikes in a side by side RV. Has anyone fit a 20" wheeled bike in the baggage compartment on a side by side. I have been looking at a Downtube 8FS to bring along in my RV6 slider. I know a Brompton will fit with its 16" wheels; hoping for a bit less $$.

https://www.downtube.com/8fs-full-suspension-8sp-folding-bike/
Yep. One does fit in an -9, you miiiiiiight get two in, but I wouldn't want to try it.

9736171841_9187e3ca46_c.jpg

9851641473_2e0f954da2_c.jpg

9851635873_fab61b1c60_c.jpg

A 20" Xootr Swift fits quite nicely in a -9. Could actually fit two of them. Don't think the 6 baggage area is significantly smaller, so that could work for you. Its ride geometry is also one of the closest to a regular sized bike and is highly modifiable.

That said, if you have a tip up canopy, everything is pretty hard to get into the baggage area. I have a tip-up mod on my slider and it allows me to drop the bikes straight down in.

I also have two Xootr Swifts that fit in the back of my RV 9A with a sliding canopy. Good friend of mine has two Xootr Swifts that fit into his tip up. What I?ve learned through my research on folding bikes, it?s really how the bicycle collapses upon itself that makes it possible to fit in the baggage compartment of our side-by-sides. Hope this helps and good luck.

Steve
RV9A
760+ hrs

Unfortunately, it looks like Xootr has gotten out of the folding bike business.
No longer available.
That?s a bummer! If you keep your eyes open one may pop up used somewhere.

I also forgot that it uses a 16? wheel, not the 20? that the OP asked about. That said, again because of its geometry, it rides closer to a full size bike than any other folding one I?ve tried.

Here is a 20" wheel folding bike for $220. I have not seen one but friend said he has ridden one. No idea if it would fit in the back of a 9 or 6, but sure cheaper than some. I would think a 16" wheel would give you a better chance of 2 fitting - but may not be as good of a ride. In my opinion, a crappy ride is better than walking!

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Cycles-2644-Single-Speed-Graphite/dp/B01N9EYWTN/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

The guy in the video is super cool and hip and the slow motion means it has to be a great bike.

Spencer Aircraft had a really cool bicycle at the PNW Aviation Show..

2 would fit! not cheap tho.. don't see on website either - but they had some new ones.

A mate of mine has a Dahon folding 20" wheel bike that he uses in his slider '6

https://dahon.com/bikes/

We have tried it in our tip up 7 and although one fits with plenty of room when in, it is a challenge to squeeze past the seats without damaging anything... two might just go in at a pinch.

Folding bikes

Has anyone experience with the Dahon Speed Uno. I need two to fit in my 9A

Last edited:
Back