What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Insurance

Haines

I expect to purchase an RV7A in about a week. I have about 3600 total hours, 3200 of that is complex, retract time in various airplanes. I have no RV7A time but will have 3-4 hours during test flights and familiarity flying in the airplane. What can I expect from insurance companies looking at insuring me?

Arthur J Gallagher, formerly Nationair will do you right, call Jennifer Cummins at (855)538-8267.
You may need 25 hours in your RV type but they are the most reasonable of all.
I'm at around 1K with 400 RV 9A hours
Hope that helps

Just for a data point with my -7, my first year insurance (included Phase 1 coverage and we only had 10hrs transition training with Mike S.) was $1,800. The second year renewal went down to $1,200.

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone think it will help to have some hours in an RV12 (the only one I have access to) before taking delivery of the RV7A? This question is for insurance purposes only. Thanks

I've added a couple of ATPs to my plane.

After so many hours, there's only so much impact it will have on your premium.

Generally speaking going into this year, proper transition training, minimum time in an RV, you're going to spend between $1100 and $1300 on an RV with $100,000/$1 million (the standard) and a hull value in the $90k neighborhood

The good news is that quotes being given right now are down about $200 from a year ago.

There are couple of firms out there who actively cater to the RV market. Stick with them. You can lose your shirt in a hurry if you don't.

I went with Falcon Ins in TX. Worked with Martha. 1250 hr ATP, mostly military time in fighters. ~100 hrs of civilian with about 5 hrs tail wheel. $120K full hull cost me $1646.00 this year (first year).

Back