What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking of doing a fly-in, need advice.

AX-O

Well Known Member
I live in the Ridgecrest CA (Mojave desert). Where the weather is nice and clear 98% of the time. This is a small community of engineers and military pilots among others. Our local airport however, has little to no action. Inyokern airport used to be our old military base so plenty of ramp space and runways. I want to do a fly-in and get people involved. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do or things that I should think about before I venture into this. Thanks for any guidance.

Link to Inyokern airport

Fly-in

Hi Axel,

Just checked out the website for your airport - very nice.

I am organising a fly-in to our Airpark at the moment, and I like to keep it simple. Basicly just give the local flying communities a reason to fly somewhere. I find that promoting a breakfast fly-in to be a good starting point. Unless you want an airshow with flying and static displays, keep it simple. Seeing as you are in a warm to hot climate like I am, a breakfast gathering allows people to get home before it gets too hot and bumpy.
Assemble a few reliable locals to help with the organising and promotion, then later on the cooking and aircraft parking.
Contact all you local flying groups, local flying magazines, websites (see, you have already started) with a date and time, then work towards having a good breakfast set up on the day. We charge a small fee to cover costs, and usually end up making a little bit over and above cost, so it doesn't have to cost you anything other than some time and effort.
Anyway, that's my suggestion - you can always grow it once you get a handle on response.
Cheers

Martin in Oz

Be careful how you handle charges for food. It's easy to get into a trouble with the health department. Offer the food for free, but have a "suggested donation".

I like the idea of having a place to fly "1st Sat of the Month" type of thing. This takes dedicated people to supply a breakfast once a month, but the ones around here are well attended even in non flying weather. Today, 45 knots winds kept the planes in the hangers, but York, NE (KJYR) held their B-fast flyin and had a crowd of 25 "hanger pilots". People drive in from up to an hour away.

In your area, I would think once the word got out it would be well attended every month. Our local EAA chapters organize the monthly meals. Expected "donation" is PIC eats free, everyone else $5.00 min.

Good luck!

Last edited:
other hints

If you are looking for something small just for pilots and friends to hang out. Just have a Ice Cream fly-in. We have done this for a few years (once to twice a year) and it pulls about 20-25 aircraft in one day. We have a farm in the mid-west...so it is enough aircraft for us to handle. We have done everything by donations, it covers the cost of the food, drinks, cups, bowls and other helpful things and some left over for gas money to mow the runway. Once the word gets out...you might have all kinds of aircraft dropping in for food. But that is what makes it so much fun!!!

We have done a few things on different foods like smoked pork chops, walking tacos, chicken wings and the pancake fly in. The most favorite has been the Ice Cream fly ins..(chicken wings are the next best). Keep it very simple for your first time and grow it if you want. Ice Cream is cheap and easy.

Word to the wise, people who are not around aircraft (general public or just friends) and they have kids...the kids get very excited and will run towards noise :eek: like a starting engine. Thank God for a father who tackled thier child, it was not a good scene to watch play out by what could have happened. (And shame on the father who was not watching :( ....)

I don't mean to be a downer...but please look at the what ifs and understand the risks and how to manage those possibilites and risks. That is why I like staying small and focus owner/pilots.

Another favorite we do occasionally is Bratwurst. Easy to cook, easy to eat. Simple clean up.

Axel,

If you go ahead with this, definitely lemme know when you have a date penciled in on the calendar so I can mark it on mine. Lookin' forward to it!!!

I'd happily toss some bucks into the coffee can for a brat & a drink.

Back