What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Therapy versus Flying

LarryT

Well Known Member
Therapy = $150/hr. (50 minutes actually)

Flying my 6A from Goheen Field to Nahalem Bay State Airport, walking from the airport to the beach, walking along the Pacific Ocean for an hour, walking back to the plane and flying back to Goheen Field, took cost 8.5 gallons of AvGas = $50. Psychological value = priceless. Done easily in one afternoon. Would have taken all day in a car and I would not have seen Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson on the way back.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

Ok, where are the pictures? Video?

:) Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon to me. Congrats!

I'm with you; hop in the plane around 11am Sunday, its 97F already. Rush to get the prop turning and some air moving = abbreviated checklist. Double check before takeoff. Fly to Coopers BBQ in Llano. Land and hop into one of the courtesy vehicles and boogie to Coopers.... Park and wait in line for 40 minutes because some south bound tour bus stopped mere minutes before arrival. Its 100+ now. Grab some world class ribs, smoked loin, brisket, potato salad and peach cobbler all washed down with copious Texas sweet tea. Belch and worry about new weight and balance calculations. Our hunger was bigger than our stomachs as usual.
Head out into the heat and deliver iced tea to Llano Larry. Sit on giant Texas sized rocking chairs digesting, watching a stearman waddle to the pumps. The Cicadas sawing their way into my head. head back home.
yeah.
80$ in gas.
BBQ and sweat, priceless.

Ahhh, Coopers BBQ. Every bit as good as Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville. Just a bit longer flight for me.

Cheap Therapy for sure. 5 stars

Ahhh, Coopers BBQ. ..... Just a bit longer flight for me.

Did someone say Coopers! Only 7.1 hrs for us. Daughter (on the right) and I went there last year with our Llano friends.
phonediumpapril2012158.jpg

Ahhhhh...... Texas beef

Makes one long for Loakis (sp? - never was quite sure how it was spelled ...). One of the great Texas steakhouses, now gone, sadly. I remember it from the '60s. One very good reason to fly to Llano. Looks like there are more, now. Can't wait to get myself back to God's country.

Outer banks

That is one of the great things about our little planes. We fly to Ocracoke island in the outer banks for lunch and a walk on the beach. Maybe 2 hours flight time round trip. It would take 14 hours round trip by car and ferry. Therapy indeed!!

Coopers

+1 on Coopers
We miss those pork chops!
That's a first cross country when our plane is done for sure.

Makes one long for Loakis (sp? - never was quite sure how it was spelled ...). One of the great Texas steakhouses, now gone, sadly. I remember it from the '60s. One very good reason to fly to Llano. Looks like there are more, now. Can't wait to get myself back to God's country.

Are you thinking maybe of Lowake's Steakhouse near San Angelo?

Therapy for sure

Once you leave the ground as PIC all worries in your life and all other issues and problems in everyone's minds as far as the eye can see are less important than landing safely back on this marvolous earth. You control the outcome. Each time I fly it kinda resets reality as it relates to perception.
Wow, that was kinda deep, I need to go flying.

Flying

Yes, the love of flight, Any RV,, any airplane.
Carol and I were riding in a friends Beech 18 yesterday, good fun, fellowship, great plane.
Visited Museum in Galveston, good lunch at Bazoria Co, airport

I had not known about Coopers, I always thought that going to Lockhart TX to Blacks was the best. Never flew there though, not sure how close an airport is.

I'm with you; hop in the plane around 11am Sunday, its 97F already. Rush to get the prop turning and some air moving = abbreviated checklist. Double check before takeoff. Fly to Coopers BBQ in Llano. Land and hop into one of the courtesy vehicles and boogie to Coopers.... Park and wait in line for 40 minutes because some south bound tour bus stopped mere minutes before arrival. Its 100+ now. Grab some world class ribs, smoked loin, brisket, potato salad and peach cobbler all washed down with copious Texas sweet tea. Belch and worry about new weight and balance calculations. Our hunger was bigger than our stomachs as usual.
Head out into the heat and deliver iced tea to Llano Larry. Sit on giant Texas sized rocking chairs digesting, watching a stearman waddle to the pumps. The Cicadas sawing their way into my head. head back home.
yeah.
80$ in gas.
BBQ and sweat, priceless.

I stink at taking photos from the plane

Ok, where are the pictures? Video?

:) Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon to me. Congrats!

+ I do not have an auto pilot. I really appreciate those who are able to share their memories from the air photographically.

Larry

Back