What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SmartBeaconing 101

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Newcomers to APRS may have read the term SmartBeaconing but not yet considered how this feature can enhance the track display. This evening I made one of those meandering, punching holes-in-the-sky flights where we just tool around immersed in the incredible privilege of seeing the earth from our hand-built aircraft. After flying north of DCU and over my neighborhood in Athens, I wandered up past the Tennessee state line, descended to less than 1000' AGL and flew along the Elk River. Not only was the setting sun a magnificent spectacle, but the APRS path traced on the map nicely demonstrates the difference between standard, one-minute beacons and the tight turns that can be drawn when the SmartBeaconing algorithm kicks in. Here is the flight:

smartbeacon.jpg

Smartbeaconing senses via the GPS data stream when the aircraft changes heading in a short period of time and begins drastically reducing the interval between beacons. It is first evident shortly after departure from 18 at DCU as the plane was flown in a 180 back to the north to downwind. It is next apparent shortly after overflying Ardmore as I crossed I-65, joined the Elk and began making tight turns to follow the course of the river. Notice how the beacon dots get very close together when the plane is making sharp turns, and when straight flight is resumed the beacons return to the standard 60 second interval. The multiple beacons in the turns allow the track to be drawn in a smooth arc on the map and results in a very accurate display of the plane's actual location during the flight. If Smartbeaconing was not available, the tight turns would not appear and the track would be drawn as a more or less straight line.

The software in the Micro-Trak 8000 (and Micro-Trak 300) is configurable to whatever sensitivity of Smartbeaconing the operator desires. The desire for smooth arcs on the map needs to be balanced against being courteous and not transmitting more beacons than necessary.

The portion of the flight following the river was flown in a valley (notice the depiction of terrain on the map) and no more than 800' AGL. The robust power of the MT 8000 was more than enough to flawlessly hit a digipeater 50 miles away even at such low altitude while maneuvering in tight turns. This is another case where the advantage of an external antenna (1/4 wave whip on belly of plane in my case) is aptly demonstrated.

Last edited:
Sam,

That's good stuff. Are you still using the 1/4 whip on the belly? Does that result in your hitting digipeaters in one direction when banking left and the other direction when banking right? I'm picturing the body (ground plane) of the airplane causing the transmitted signal to be blocked in one direction.

Rick

Sam,

That's good stuff. Are you still using the 1/4 whip on the belly? Does that result in your hitting digipeaters in one direction when banking left and the other direction when banking right? I'm picturing the body (ground plane) of the airplane causing the transmitted signal to be blocked in one direction.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Sometimes the digipeaters hit does indeed change, often in remarkable ways! There is an iGate just a few miles southeast of DCU that snags many of my beacons in the local area (it was down during this flight and nearly all these beacons were picked up in Fayetteville, TN), but if I'm 50 or so miles from the iGate and point the belly of the plane away from it, the iGate can get blanked.

But not to fear! When this happens I get to work some really good hops. I often hit repeaters in Kentucky, eastern Tennessee and central Alabama, and yesterday got one 317 miles away near Indiana when I was 2500' AGL. :)

The combination of Micro-Trak 8000 and belly-mounted whip is formidable at hitting distant stations. My recommendation for anyone really serious about APRS is to strongly consider the advantages of the external antenna so the full potential of the technology can be realized. It only involves drilling one more hole. ;)

Here is my track from last nights fuel run to Thomaston, GA.

http://aprs.fi/?call=kj4efs&mt=m&z=11&timerange=86400

I set up my configuration exactly like Sam's and I'm very pleased with the results. I made a 360 just to see how the smart beakoning works.
The most remarkable thing to me is that I was 153mph at one point but did not realize it at the time because I was throttled back to about 2200 rpm. I wanted to take my time because I knew my father was watching in Maryland and I wanted to give him a good show!

Now, I want to go up and try some speed runs to see what numbers are displayed on the track. Just how fast is a FP 160hp -9? Stayed tuned.

Back