VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 AM

Default Dynon D180 to Skyview HDX pin compat?

Hi all,

I'm considering an RV-12 that has the older Dynon D180 panel.

If I were to pursue, I'd like to upgrade it to a Skyview HDX + ADS-B In/Out. I'm curious if anyone knows if this is a relatively plug and play routine to swap out or brain surgery?

Thanks
John
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM

There have been other threads pertaining to this. A couple of builders said that it would have been easier to rip everything out and start over. If you do that, it would be plug and play (using Van's SkyView harness).
If you want to reuse existing wires and pull in more where required, it is doable but will require a lot more thinking, and perhaps frustration.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 AM

If you like the airframe you might consider adding a second 7" Dynon. I installed a D-100 on the right side - easy install with only four wires. I also have uAvionix ADS-B in/out feeding traffic and weather to a mini iPad running ForeFlight. I like the redundant Garmin panel mounted GPS.

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 07-02-2019, 10:48 AM

This may be helpful.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-documentation.php

There is a D10/D100 conversion to Skyview document here.

I used it and it was very helpful.
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Thanks Jim and Dan - very helpful!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
There have been other threads pertaining to this. A couple of builders said that it would have been easier to rip everything out and start over. If you do that, it would be plug and play (using Van's SkyView harness).
If you want to reuse existing wires and pull in more where required, it is doable but will require a lot more thinking, and perhaps frustration.
I've looked in to buying 2012 to 2013 or earlier RV-12's with the D-180 systems, and based on wanting to fly, not wrench on the plane or hassle with R&R and paying someone else to do it, just figured that since I fly out of a class D airport here in So CA, the added expense to update and the headaches was not worth it, I swould just buy a newer plane and pay the price of it installed up front. Not worth the headaches and trouble shooting if you just want to fly.

A very nice 2015 RV-12 N16VW, with a Skyview Touch, white with blue paint, 2 dim auto pilot, with about 75 hours, just sold last week down in Corona, CA for $60,000. It sold in 9 days.

I see tons of older planes on Trade A Plane and Barnstormers, for sale, for 6 months or more, not moving.

Markets vary, but the ones not moving are not worth the asking price IMHO. Do your own due diligence.

My suggestion is get a 2013 or newer, or discount the heck out of an older one that needs newer EFIS glass to be 2020 ADS B compliant, because what ever you save up front, you'll be spending on new EFIS glass and time to rip out the old and install the new.

YMMV, this is all IMHO. I'm retired, and don't enjoy working much on electrical or computer based stuff, or crawling around in tight spaces, being 6'5" tall, I can't bend or contort around, like I used to when I was younger.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 07-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM

JFCRV12,
The advise to buy a later -12 that is already equipped the way you want has merit.

BTW, if you are set on the HDX then it can be swapped into a SV equipped panel just by installing a couple of mounting nut plates. The HDX has 4 mounting screws and the SV has six. The HDX bottom screws are in a slightly different location.

On a D-180 panel the change could be considered brain surgery. There would be modifications needed to the airframe firewall, and instrument shelf as well as the left panel, and center panel. There were conversions harnesses available and they probably still are available from Van's. Section 42D of the plans shows all of this as it is specifically for installing the SV in a D-180 wired RV-12.

In this conversion the SL-40 radio remains, but the transponder and GPS units are changed to Dynon. The Dynon transponder and GPS are 2020 ADSB out compliant.
If you like working on electrical stuff and have some aircraft builder tools this might be a good hobby project for you. There are significant costs involved, so the D-180 equipped airplane would have to be at a discounted price point. Plan on $8000 to make the conversion even after you sold the D-180, and associated electronics and that's with you furnishing the labor.

There is another conversion option and that is to replace all of the airplane wiring with the Skyview specific harnesses. There is a thread here. There are some benefits to this approach. I took this approach for my update, but for someone who did not originally build the airplane and is not intimately familiar with it, I don't recommend going this way.

Last edited by Tony_T : 07-02-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added cost estimate.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Hi all,

I decided I'm better served to just keep an eye out for one that's already got the 'stuff' I'd like. The appeal of an RV-12 to me is the fact I can do the 2 day class and do the CIs, but I don't want to rip apart a bunch of stuff for incremental upgrades. If I start to go that route, heck, I'll just build!

Thanks!
John
Old 07-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFCRV12 View Post
...The appeal of an RV-12 to me is the fact I can do the 2 day class and do the CIs...
This is only true if you buy one certified as E-LSA, NOT E-AB. Just be sure when you buy.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
This is only true if you buy one certified as E-LSA, NOT E-AB. Just be sure when you buy.
Yep - I'm aware