- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Post Canary latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Just to clarify...The pic above is not my plane. Mine has the striker plate on the outside of the handle loop. I don't have a picture of my latch. Something's not right with my setup. It works fine and it appears safe but apparently something is amiss. I'll report back when weather permits and also provide photo.
Just checked mine and the tab is what catches the hooked plate and plastic latch. The hole in the canopy was already pre-drilled When it arrived from Van's. I'm not sure how , following the directions - the latch could be moved back to be in the middle of the handle.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim garrett View Post
Just checked mine and the tab is what catches the hooked plate and plastic latch. The hole in the canopy was already pre-drilled When it arrived from Van's. I'm not sure how , following the directions - the latch could be moved back to be in the middle of the handle.
If I am correctly understanding your description, your handle is not latching properly and should be corrected.
This previously posted photo shows how the handle latch interface should look when it is latching properly.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM

My guess is that the latch plate is riveted in the wrong location on the roll bar. That is the only way that I can see that would allow the tab on the handle to contact the plate.
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 01-26-2016, 03:35 PM

But what I want to know is who crawled into the baggage compartment on short final to take that photo?
The more I study this and compare to mine, the more perplexed I become. This is like a riddle or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
If I am correctly understanding your description, your handle is not latching properly and should be corrected.
This previously posted photo shows how the handle latch interface should look when it is latching properly.

Last edited by DonFromTX : 01-26-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Don, it's a simple picture to take - just use the panel mounted iPad and a mirror....

Loving Rotax....
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 AM

Hi all,
I’ve had a rv8 for years and in the last couple weeks purchased a 12 with less than 100 hrs. I flew it many times with the canopy latch not fully engaged, not realizing it needed to go over the nylon latch. When closed, it looks just like the picture shown. It takes considerable effort to get it closed correctly, and even more, unreasonable amount, to get it back out of the nylon piece to open. It takes both hands to unlatch. My question, is this right and how or what can be done to loosen up or make this easier? The canopy latched is one safety issue, but getting out could be another. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 AM

This RV 12 was completed and registered December 2013 if that helps.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Check under the nylon latch block for shim plates. If there are shim plates, remove them one at a time to reduce the latching force.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Thanks for that Bob. I’m not at the airplane right now but I’ll check it. I don’t recall seeing any but that makes a lot of sense since the pressure on the block is just too great. If the through rod where just a 1/8 in. longer also. No adjustment there I don’t believe. Even if there were not any shims, I suppose I could just shave a bit off the bottom of the block also. Thanks again.
Norm
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM

As mentioned, if the block is shimmed too much below the roll bar it will make it difficult to latch / unlatch.

If that is not the cause, the unlatching resistance can be adjusted if needed, by adding a slight bevel to the step in the block by trimming the sharp edge using a razor blade.

Do a very small amount at a time. When properly adjusted, you should be able to open it with one hand but it should still have some resistance that you have to overcome to rotate the handle past the step.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")