VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2019, 11:24 AM

As long as we're at it... Here’s a suggestion to keep the latch handle oriented in the open position when the canopy is raised/lowered. Drill a small hole and press in a nickel-plated Neodymium magnet (3/16”∅ x 3/16”) it will hold the steel handle against the stop plate. When lowering the canopy while standing outside of the airplane the handle will often rotate and strike the roll bar preventing the full canopy closure. You then have to climb up on the wing and turn the handle by hand. The magnet fixes this problem…

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 459

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 07-09-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM

The magnet would work but I am a little hesitant to place a magnetic source that close to the magnetometer, in case of the D-180, or the ADAHRS, in case of SV, located a few feet away in the tail cone. It might not be a problem, but the KAI instructions to simply squeeze the tube the handle turns in works well and why deviate from the plans in this regard?
I use a vise grip to do the squeeze, that way you can just barely turn the adjusting screw and do a trial squeeze without over doing it. It is easy to over squeeze and then have a problem getting the handle back in.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:21 PM

All I can say is that you all have been very generous with your advice and the pictures tell a lot. It’s true, mine doesn’t have the catch feature. And from what Tony says, even with the adjustments done on the old, it may not be enough, I’ll see. Evidently the new system really is the ultimate answer and I may end up doing that after trying the simple things first. Right now, I’m out of town, but will get on this at the end of the week. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Thank you all

Not flying yet but I appreciate the contributions that Tony and others have made to my 12 build. The pictures and descriptions are spot on. I reviewed Van's instructions to make this upgrade and decided that I would do it 'some other time'. These pictures have made it more understandable. Thanks again, Tony, and others - I appreciate.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM

I just wanted to post a quick followup regarding my extreme difficulty locking and especially unlocking my canopy on a newly purchased 2013 RV12 with about 60 hrs total time. All the excellent suggestions gave me a direction to go. The very first suggestion and the easiest to try was to remove the shims one at a time. As it turned out, there was only one, so I removed it and, bingo, it was like night and day. That was the answer. It was so easy, why had it not been done by the builder. Before, it took two hands to close with much effort, and opening was even harder to the point I thought maybe I was locked in as the sun was quickly cooking me. Now I just reach up and it easily snaps in and out with one hand. Amazing �� So thanks all, problem solved.
Norm