VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 PM

Default searching for used RV 12

Looking for "late model" 12. Short of physically inspecting the plane on the west coast e.g.(I live in Florida) how do I determine if the plane has all,or some, of the updates.I realize Vans has made some good modifications recently to make it more suitable for training.Is it done by kit number(serial number),date of manufacture,or...? Is the year advertised the construction finish date or the year of kit purchase? I have three new pilots(one is an A&P) in my family and these modifications would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Shameless plug

If you're looking for a nice RV-12, please take a look at mine!

https://n1769k.wixsite.com/n1769k
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele nicol View Post
Looking for "late model" 12. Short of physically inspecting the plane on the west coast e.g.(I live in Florida) how do I determine if the plane has all,or some, of the updates.I realize Vans has made some good modifications recently to make it more suitable for training.Is it done by kit number(serial number),date of manufacture,or...? Is the year advertised the construction finish date or the year of kit purchase? I have three new pilots(one is an A&P) in my family and these modifications would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give.
Go to the classifieds, here is your-12...

FS: Flying RV-12 Connecticut
Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Michele, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-26-2019, 08:48 PM

Default RV 12

I have a late 2017 low time RV 12 that had a pre buy inspection by Vic Syracuse for a potential buyer last Dec. Had to fix a few minor problems that he found. Nothing major but enough to cancel the purchase. Have done all the updates/service bulletins.

Plane is in Punta Gorda Florida. Give me an email and I can send you pictures if interested.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM

To actually answer your questions, there is no way of knowing by year started or year finished. You have to ask the builders if they incorporated the changes. Everyone builds and buys the sub-kits at a different pace. Likewise the same for basic and optional equipment. I'd go through the service bulletins and make a comprehensive listing of all options and changes and then inquire the seller. The seller should have all covered in the log book by the annual condition inspection. Examples as follows:

SB 18-03-06 replaced throttle Spring
SB 18-02-03 inspect anti servo tab skins for cracks. SB 14-11-03 Wingskin/Spar rivet wear- compliance inspection, no rivet wear
SB 14-12-06 Cracking F-1206F Bearing bracket brace. compliance inspection, no cracks
SB 16-05-23N/A, WD-1230 Nose Fork Cracks- Replaced Nose fork with improved model 09/2017
SB 16-08-01 Stabilator Bearing Inspection- compliance inspection, no play.
SB 16-08-24 Loose WD-1204 Engine Mount bracket attachment rivets- compliance inspection, no rivet wear.
Notification 2017-05-19 Soft Engine Isolators- Replaced with new 10/2017. All AD, SB and SA have been complied with and noted in logbook and checklist

My 12 may be coming up for sale too after Oshkosh unless I soon find hanger space for it. All options including dual Skyviews so it will be in the upper price level.

Last edited by scottmillhouse : 06-27-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added text
Old 06-28-2019, 11:25 PM

Default Scott’s

Scott’s 12 is a VERY nice plane if it becomes available!
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.