VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 AM

Default Wet method

This video seems like a good example of using the wet method to apply stripes. These guys used the body line to align the stripe and, since I don't have a body line, I'm wondering what the best way would be to get the stripe properly aligned. I guess I could use pieces of "register tape" cut in half with half on the fuselage and the other half on the overlay material. Does that sound like a plan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GFAsicHLY
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Really dumb question

OK, now I have a really dumb question. I'll be using that knifeless tape to trim my stripes where they wrap around the leading/trailing edges, but how do I do that with the transfer layer still on the vinyl? If I first install the knifeless tape where I want the edge to be, then squeegee the vinyl down through the transfer layer, will the filiment in the knifeless tape cut through both the vinyl and the transfer layer, or do I have to remove the transfer layer before pulling the filament in the knifeless tape? I'm trying to think this process through before launching off, but keep getting wrapped (no pun intended) around the axle.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
This video seems like a good example of using the wet method to apply stripes. These guys used the body line to align the stripe and, since I don't have a body line, I'm wondering what the best way would be to get the stripe properly aligned. I guess I could use pieces of "register tape" cut in half with half on the fuselage and the other half on the overlay material. Does that sound like a plan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1GFAsicHLY
Get some car painters fine line tape and make your own reference line just outside of where the final stripes will go.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 PM

I'm just about done applying my Vinyl trim. The main thing I've learned is that it's not near as easy as it looks on YouTube. The other thing I learned is that there is "wrap", which is just vinyl with a backing sheet, and there are "decals", which also have a paper application layer on top to hold everything in alignment. Most of what I've used has been with the paper application layer on top. My results are pretty crappy by professional standards, but I'm sure it will look good from 10,000', inverted. Here's a brief explanation of how the wingtip process went:

First, lay the decal in place and align it how you want. The long blue tape is a "hinge", and the short blue tape is a registration mark.

After alignment, fold the decal back and remove the backing. Spray both the wingtip and decal with Rapid-Tac.

This is knifeless tape which I had intended to use to make a nice edge. It didn't work at all. I used a knife.

Fold the decal back into place and spray the top of the application paper with Rapid-Tac. This lubricates the squeege and also facilitates the removal of the paper application sheet several minutes later.

After squeegeing and the Rapid-Tac has had time to work, pull off the application layer at a 45 deg angle.

This vinyl doesn't like compound curves at all

I used a hair dryer to heat it up, squeeged and stretched it as best I could, with not much luck

The final result has some wrinkles on the outside edge that I could never get out. It is what it is.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Default Vinyl is Vinyl

Nobody is commenting or asking questions but I applied the long stripes on the fuselage today (less cowling). Transmitting in the blind:

Old 08-28-2018, 02:15 PM

Default We hear you!

Sorry you did not receive more help John. The producer of the decals should have been more help it seems to me. The red wing tips would be easier to do with 3M 1080 if the color was close enough. Then the knife-less tape and compound curves would have worked. But you did a good job anyway. Take some time to fly and enjoy.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
The producer of the decals should have been more help it seems to me. The red wing tips would be easier to do with 3M 1080 if the color was close enough.
One would think so, but AeroGraphics said they didn't know anything about the application of their product. Strange, but true. The main problem was that I didn't know what questions to ask...like "What 3M product would be best?" and "Should I have an application layer or not?" Well, I muddled through regardless. We did have one mis-communication about the length of those fuselage stripes and the ones they sent were 2' too short. Since I had accepted the proof they sent without noticing the error, I offered to pay for the extension pieces on the cowling. They printed me some at no charge. They also sent me extra wingtip pieces without the application layer in case those would work better. Aerographics' customer service was supurb, but I just didn't know what I was doing. I'm patching up a few places on the right side before applying the stripes over there, then I'll be putting the cowling back on and flying.

Thanks for your comment; I was thinking that Doug had me shadow-banned or something

Edit: In looking up the specs on the ScotchCal 220 that I used, it's only recommended for simple (not compound) curves. Oh well...

Last edited by snopercod : 08-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 PM

Default Thanks For Posting This Thread

Just read through it all. Interesting process, thank you for sharing your experience with the vinyl.

Something to think about for my project.

Do like your colors and final look!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 09-26-2018, 05:36 AM

Thanks, Mike, I'm happy with how it came out, wrinkles and all. I have found that I can cut out any bad spots and patch them without it looking too ugly. Where I have done that, I used the 3M #94 primer for good adhesion. I posted a video on the "Brotherhood" thread where a couple of wrinkles are clearly visible on the right hand blue stripe. I may fix those today.

The Eagle design you came up with is going to look AWESOME!

Last edited by snopercod : 09-26-2018 at 05:39 AM.