What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake pad wear (inquiry)

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Scoped out my brake pads today and comparing the wear indicators with a set of new pads, I'd say that given on I have about 50 hours TT; they will pry want to be replaced by about 75 hours. Is this normal? Hope they make it til Annual!

Additionally, they used to hold fine, even up to full throttle run up, now, I have to stand on em pretty good to hold an 1800 rpm run up. Do they need to be re-burnished?

No issues stopping, or taxiing, but I don't think I could "lock em up" as some say is no problem for them.

Yes they need to be reconditioned. Using them unconditioned they work poorly and wear fast. According to Cleveland's literature excessive use of the brakes during taxi can wear off the glaze layer. You should get a lot more than 75 hours out of the pads.

Yes they need to be reconditioned. Using them unconditioned they work poorly and wear fast. According to Cleveland's literature excessive use of the brakes during taxi can wear off the glaze layer. You should get a lot more than 75 hours out of the pads.

Any tips? Same as the first go around?

I went thru my first set of new brake pads in about 100 hours. After I finally learned to use the brakes only as really needed, I expect to get about 200 hours out of my 2nd set. Stock pads from Vans... I presume they're made by Rapco?

Last edited:
Brakes are hanging up (sticking) or you are way over using your brakes for steering and or stopping. Steer with that big rudder you've got, land at stall speed and keep off the brakes. You should get 200-300 + hours on a set of pads. :)

Brake Pad Life

Geeezzzz I got 500 hours on my last pair on a Cherokee PA28-236. My RV is still in work but only 100 hours for pads? Really?

We have replaced ours at 200-250 hours at each annual, they were half worn and we have often thought they would go another year, but knew they would be too close at that point.

I do not know how you can wear them out in under 100 hours. :eek:

Learn to taxi by just little jabs at the brakes to change direction. I see many folk apply pressure on one, then on the other and then more again, then more throttle. That would wear them out.

Brake pad wear

Depending on the pads you have the breakin procedures are different. Organic linings require 2-3 braking actions from a fast taxi speed,let the pads cool down between actions. Metallic pads require the same actions,but not letting them cool off between braking actions. This helps solidify the resins holding the pad material together.

Geeezzzz I got 500 hours on my last pair on a Cherokee PA28-236. My RV is still in work but only 100 hours for pads? Really?

There is a huge difference between castoring and steering nose wheels as you know. RV A models wheel breaks wear out very fast for the novice, unless you try hard not to. Use FULL rudder before touching a brake if your trying to turn.
Comparing hours is not particularly useful as taxi conditions, length of taxi, typical onboard weight, all have a LOT to do with break wear. You should get more than 75 hours, and you will as you improve techniques and become conscious of your brake saving efforts.

Comparing hours is not particularly useful as taxi conditions, length of taxi, typical onboard weight, all have a LOT to do with break wear.

So true. The rental Diamond DA-20 I trained on (differential braking on the mains and free-castering nose wheel, like the Van's -As) went through a lot of pads at John Wayne (KSNA), with contributing factors of a crosswind on the taxiway, a roughly 1-mile taxi (!) from the school to the runway, a smaller rudder than the RVs and, of course, some student inexperience.

Also, we were taught to taxi somewhat slowly, reducing the effectiveness of the rudder...and building that Hobbs time. :eek: Taxiing the DA-20 was the hardest part of operating the plane! You'd feel guilty riding one brake or the other, but sometimes it was the only way to maintain directional control.

I replaced my first set at 120hrs. Then I turned the idle speed down and got off the brakes. Next set lasted 2 years (about 240 hrs). I think improved technique will do even better on the current set.

As a side note, now I get the exhaust pop that I understand is common to RVs in the pattern. Did not have that before lowering the idle speed.

I wore out and replaced my first set of brake pads after my first 100 hours, and I resolved to keep my feet on the sides of the rudder pedals unless brakes are absolutely required. I just completed my second annual after flying an additional 90 hours, and the brake pads were only wore about 25%

The Cherokee has a steerable nose wheel, so it is not a fair comparison. Are there any Grumman owners out there who could advise what kind of brake pad life they expect?

Jay
RV-7A

I don't see a huge problem with using your brakes all the time as long as you are willing to change them often. If you're using your brakes because you are landing fast and feel it's necessary to use them then I say, fine. There are those that fly in and out of long runways that hardly ever use their brakes and there are those who are constantly on them. Whatever your scenario is just be safe. Don't get too slow on final without a lot practice just because you want to save a few bucks on brakes liners. As you get more comfortable with your plane you will find that you will land shorter, taxi smarter and use your brakes only when it's absolutely necessary . . . until then, just be safe.

Brakes

My RV-7A does 500 landings on the tires (no tread left) and 650 landings on brakes with over 25% left. Home base is 4,000 ft., but many formation landings (no choice on landing distance). Prior to the 7A I had a Grumman Tiger so I learned to only tap the brakes after full rudder deflection.

Record for short pad life?

We've got 60 hrs on our RV-8 and around 140 landings. I didn't plan on checking the brake pads until annual but today the left brake went down. The pads were so worn that the left side o-ring started to extrude. Pad rivets were worn and the disks were slightly grooved but not enough that they should be a problem.

I don't have any brake drag and learned early on to not ride the brakes when taxiing. Also have 3800 ft of paved runway at our home airport so little braking is required on landing. Many landings however have been stop & go's (practice), with backtracking and spinning the aircraft around at each end - perhaps this has contributed to the short pad life.

Anyway - I expect to go to ACS Canada Monday for pads and a rivet tool. I think ACS only has Rapco pads? Unless - anybody on VAF has a recommendation on longer life pads. Also - any other tips that might help to decrease pad wear?

you will find the brakes pads are easy to replace. and you will find operational methods to minimize brake pad wear.

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the issue of brake master cylinders not fully retracting when you lift your foot off the brake pedal.

Reams of info on VAF on this issue; people have added return springs, and changed to different mfg.

My favorite is Grove.

If the pedal doesn't fully retract, the brakes will drag, .......... and wear.

OTOH I think Dobro might have earned himself a new callsign:

"Leadfoot" :p

Last edited:
return springs, fwiw, cleveland brakes with springs, untouched for five years, 600 flt hours. working fine.

100_5186_zps2opal3eh.jpg

Last edited:
Back